Thread: Grandson time and 2 bowls

Grandson time and 2 bowls

Youngest grandson, 17, was here over weekend and wanted to do some turning. I made some disc blanks, 6-7"D and 1-1/2"T, out of some pith slab material of Hackberry and local Maple saved from larger bowl preparation. His first bowl was Hackberry and ended up with a foot made out of the tenon due to a little eager turning and the ring, design feature in center, would have ended up with a funnel. A good save and friction polish for first bowl. His second bowl was out of the spalted Maple and Danish Oil finish. Both are definitely keepers.
    IMG_1993.JPGIMG_1992.JPG
    It was good practice working with him since local club will be doing a simple learn to turn bowl class in September turning similar bowls.

I like both of them, and especially that you got to work with your grandson.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I agree that they are definitely keepers. He has talent and a great teacher.

Both are great. I really like the second one.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Congrats on being able to share with your grandson the wonderful world of turning! Both bowls are keepers but have to say that even after turning for a few years, I would be showing off that second one! I am sure that in addition to the bowls, you created some lasting and fun memories! Have fun in your September class!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great job and good for you for spending time with him in the shop!

Those look great.

Thanks for comments. The Maple and DO are definitely a better end product and second bowl turned. The Hackberry was his first bowl turned since "we" turned a simple bowl 10 years earlier. He did the turning, sanding, and finish on both bowls with very little hand on help and none on the final passes. He was a good student and got the feel of riding the bevel pretty quick. I was just handed the different grits of sandpaper and sharpened the tools.

Very nice bowls indeed!