Thread: 16 gauge cordless nailer - 18 or 20 volt

16 gauge cordless nailer - 18 or 20 volt

Don't want to re-ignite the which nailer is best debate. Am looking at the DeWalt cordless 16 gauge/20 degree angled finish nailer. The new one is 20V; the older and cheaper is 18V. Both get good reviews but of course the 18V has a longer track record. Does the 20V vs 18V really make a difference or is this one time when I can buy the cheaper (but still pretty expensive) model? Appreciate your views/experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Carey View Post
    Don't want to re-ignite the which nailer is best debate. Am looking at the DeWalt cordless 16 gauge/20 degree angled finish nailer. The new one is 20V; the older and cheaper is 18V. Both get good reviews but of course the 18V has a longer track record. Does the 20V vs 18V really make a difference or is this one time when I can buy the cheaper (but still pretty expensive) model? Appreciate your views/experience.
    The 20V tools are really 18V when running. It's 20V max. They changed the voltage on the side when they moved from the post to the slide form factor, to avoid confusion between the two [I'm sure it doesn't hurt that 20 is larger than 18].

I don't know about these specific tools though, I only have air nailers.

To be honest the voltage wars are kind of meaningless. Yes higher voltage is more powerful if the batteries can supply the amps. I can rub my feet on the carpet and generate thousands of volts but there is so little asps behind it that it does no meaningful work. The whole thing reminds me of the Sears air compressor horsepower lawsuit.
    A 6 or 12 volt car starter motor has far more horsepower then any 18 or 20 volt drill.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-01-2017 at 11:27 AM.

I don't know specifically about the nailers, but I have gone to 20V Max tools when I buy new ones. The 20V Max seems to be the Dewalt standard (along with higher voltage tools recently), so that seems to be the way to go if you plan on getting any other Dewalt tools. I can't imagine the design of the 20V nailer is any different than the 18V anyway, but you'd have to ask if someone who knows about compatibility; like ToolNut online or some other larger tool retailer.

As mentioned, the 18/20v discussion is moot. Brushless? No question in my mind about that. Get the brushless.
    Just to add another $0.02, I absolutely LOVE the Tough System radio. If anything, get the 20v tools and get the radio. The BEST buy I have done in a long time. It rattles my workbench on 3/4 volume. And the bench is 2" thick. Charges your phone too. That is important nowadays...... LOL.

Blog Entries
    My nail guns and staple guns are air. I have no issues and have no interest in electric nailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    As mentioned, the 18/20v discussion is moot.....
    I don't think the 18/20 V discussion is moot, because the battery technology is different.

I believe the 18 V are Nicad batteries while the 20 volt max are the newer lithium ion batteries.

I have a number of Dewalt 20 V Max tools. I like them better than the Dewalt 18 volt that we mostly used at work before I retired. The lithium ion batteries also keep their charge for a long time when not in use.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I don't think the 18/20 V discussion is moot, because the battery technology is different.

I believe the 18 V are Nicad batteries while the 20 volt max are the newer lithium ion batteries.

I have a number of Dewalt 20 V Max tools. I like them better than the Dewalt 18 volt that we mostly used at work before I retired. The lithium ion batteries also keep their charge for a long time when not in use.

Bill
    Dewalt sells 18v lithium ion batteries.

I switched to the 20V DeWalt tools because they are lighter than the 18V. I'd get the 20V nailer just because that's the current product.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Interesting that they do. But they also sell the 18 volt Nicad battery tools that look similar, and it is not always easy to determine what type of 18 volt battery is included with the tool...at least when browsing tools on line.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Blog Entries
    I have two cordless nailers, a 16 oz. and 11 oz. hammer.

They also make an adapter that you can plug into an 18V tool and use the standard (new) 20V batteries. If I was going to use lithium batteries with an older 18V tool, that's the way I'd go. I could slowly migrate to the 20V tools and have only one battery type.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have two cordless nailers, a 16 oz. and 11 oz. hammer.
    ROTFLMAO!
    I just bought a 16oz Stiletto. Love that cordless nailer.