Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Information.....TMI

Originally Posted by Steve Peterson
    I don't understand how people can be so trusting of handing a credit card to a restaurant employee earning minimum wage and letting them walk away with it for 5 minutes. Seems like a recipe for credit card fraud. I try to always carry enough cash for the meal including a mix of 1's and 5's so I don't have to wait for change.

Recent trip to the UK where we were told it is illegal there for them to take the card out of your sight. All the servers have a handheld device into which cards are inserted and transaction all done at the table. Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    It drives me nuts when I'm in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's and as I watch the cars ahead of me pull up to the window and she hands them the debit machine. Some are fairly quick and some take forever to hand it back and then she hands them ONE COFFEE!!!! ... I feel like screaming.. "CARRY 2 BUCKS WITH YOU!!!" I like it when the debit and credit is down at the grocery store and the lineups are 6 deep at every register.. I move straight to the front with cash while everyone stands there wondering how to pay for their groceries!!
    Why? I never carry cash, it requires an extra step that I have to go to a bank or ATM to get the cash, then hand it to someone else. Why bother? The card stays with me all the time, no extra step required.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Why? I never carry cash, it requires an extra step that I have to go to a bank or ATM to get the cash, then hand it to someone else. Why bother? The card stays with me all the time, no extra step required.
    Except when the Debit/Credit is down...then all the cashless people are complaining and scrambling trying to find a way to pay!!

It drives me nuts when I'm in the drive-thru at Tim Horton's and as I watch the cars ahead of me pull up to the window and she hands them the debit machine. Some are fairly quick and some take forever to hand it back and then she hands them ONE COFFEE!!!! ... I feel like screaming.. "CARRY 2 BUCKS WITH YOU!!!" I like it when the debit and credit is down at the grocery store and the lineups are 6 deep at every register.. I move straight to the front with cash while everyone stands there wondering how to pay for their groceries!!
    At least you have the good sense to go to Tim Hortons. My favorite since all the Big Boys have disappeared.

I can't count the number of times that swiping my card didn't work. Or the "our system is down" line I've heard a dozen times or more. Cash works.

I was buying some arrow fletching at Dick's a few weeks ago. The cashier wanted my name and phone number- for a cash sale. I said, " Who cares?". So worried about my info so they can 'target' us and give info to their trusted partners (code for Sell Everything We Know To Whoever Will Pay Us For It).

I'd continue with my rant but there's someone on my lawn, have to deal with it.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Recent trip to the UK where we were told it is illegal there for them to take the card out of your sight. All the servers have a handheld device into which cards are inserted and transaction all done at the table. Smart.
    Everywhere I've been in Europe used chip cards requiring a PIN. They always handed you the reader and never touched your card. A transaction seldom took longer than about 15 seconds. Painless, but we still used cash for almost everything.

With a PIN required even stealing or copying the card won't do them much good. Maybe the US will catch up some day.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    and the sheeple will be compliant and trusting that all will be well. Have we become a dumbed down society?
    ..And you or your progeny will eventually comply if you want to live among people. The over-population of the world is making privacy a thing of the past.

Harbor Freight and any number of other stores always ask for your phone number.... I have a standard fake number that I use for all those places.... it's one I can't forget so it works for me. But the cashiers always give me an eye roll....

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    Harbor Freight and any number of other stores always ask for your phone number.... I have a standard fake number that I use for all those places.... it's one I can't forget so it works for me. But the cashiers always give me an eye roll....
    I give a fake number too then deflect any issues with a quick "...and don't call after midnight!" BTW, a fake number also usually works at dentists and medical places who have no legitimate reason to get my SSN. When I question the reason for wanting the SSN I usually get is "That's just the way we've always done things."

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I give a fake number too then deflect any issues with a quick "...and don't call after midnight!" BTW, a fake number also usually works at dentists and medical places who have no legitimate reason to get my SSN. When I question the reason for wanting the SSN I usually get is "That's just the way we've always done things."

JKJ

EXACTLY what I do! 555-55-5555 is my SS# if anyone wants to steal my identity....

Blog Entries
    i have bought every car I've ever owned with full cash money (no credit, no payments) and every dealer still forces me to have my credit checked. Without the credit check, they won't sell the car. I bought my kids a little 80cc ATV and the same thing happened!
    I wonder if you opened a brief case full of stacks of cash and said, "I have your credit report right here," if they would still insist on running one. If so, would standing up and saying something about their competitor said he could have the same car in a day or two without a credit check would change their attitude.

If someone is paying cash, why the heck do they need a credit report?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I wonder if you opened a brief case full of stacks of cash and said, "I have your credit report right here," if they would still insist on running one. If so, would standing up and saying something about their competitor said he could have the same car in a day or two without a credit check would change their attitude.

If someone is paying cash, why the heck do they need a credit report?

jtk
    The answer I've gotten at each dealership is virtually the same, that it is "the law." I've never looked into exactly what law.... the dealerships claims they have to have a traceable record and proof of identity for every individual for every sale of a car and this is how they do it. Then they say something about 9/11, and the Oklahoma City bombing and how it's "just the law" now....

It's insane. Of course, I live in California so......

The answer I've gotten at each dealership is virtually the same, that it is "the law." I've never looked into exactly what law.... the dealerships claims they have to have a traceable record and proof of identity for every individual for every sale of a car and this is how they do it. Then they say something about 9/11, and the Oklahoma City bombing and how it's "just the law" now....

It's insane. Of course, I live in California so......
    I wrote to Attorney Generals Office in Missouri who said there was no such law in my state.

Sounds like dealership rule -law. Even when a buyer is paying cash they want a chance in finance office to try to persuade customer to finance. Need to keep percentages up.

Everyone I know uses their phone or a card these days. They spend $3.59 at a local taco shack and they whip out the card.... it's not my style...
    I don't carry cash. Every place I frequent has the chip and pin machine for point of sale secure payment. I pay my credit card account before the due date and never carry credit card debt. I receive affinity points for using my card. I receive a store discount for using my card. I redeem the points for hotel stays throughout Europe. Other than that, it's likely just laziness.

Except when the Debit/Credit is down...then all the cashless people are complaining and scrambling trying to find a way to pay!!
    I can't remember the last time I had that happen to me. In that situation, I simply go elsewhere. There is effectively no one that doesn't accept credit cards these days.