Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Information.....TMI

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Generally for the first two weeks after a hurricane, cash is definitely KING! That's why I keep some on hand.
    I'm not crazy enough to live in hurricane country. Or tornado alley for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I'm not crazy enough to live in hurricane country. Or tornado alley for that matter.
    Yeah, but.... what about a zombie apocalypse? Invasion by Canada? An asteroid strike?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yeah, but.... what about a zombie apocalypse? Invasion by Canada? An asteroid strike?

JKJ
    Invasion by Canada!!!!!!....LOL.... Maybe in the winter we might invade Florida!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Invasion by Canada!!!!!!....LOL.... Maybe in the winter we might invade Florida!!!!!
    Uhh, I think you do that every winter already.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Uhh, I think you do that every winter already.

Mike
    LOL.....you're right.....

JKJ
    I'll worry about those when they happen. Of course, when that happens, all of the ATMs will shut down, as will the banks, so it won't really matter, will it?

I never carry cash these days unless I know I will need cash. For better or for worse I charge everything and then pay the bill when it is due. I keep enough cash at at home for a last minute Craigslist purchase, or for use during a major power outage if one were to happen. The last time a major power outage happened (1999) most of the businesses were closed due to no power. One major grocery store was still running on generator, but half the coolers were empty due to no power. I bet they could still take cards since the registers were running. I still carried cash back then.

I really don't have a problem tracking spending when I use credit instead of cash and manage to pay before interest is due.

No "might" about it...just count the ratio of license plates that are registered "north" of the magic line....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I always keep 4 or 5 bucks with in case I need a bag of ice or something. Otherwise, plastic. Why? Because at any given time I can log onto my bank account and get a complete, itemized and categorized report of every dollar I've spent on gas, groceries, tax payments, medical, dental, oil changes, restaurants, take-out, movies, satellite TV, Netflix, phones, electric, water, sewer, insurance, registration fees-- going back 18 months!... Invaluable anytime, and especially around tax time. If I pay cash, then I have to keep track. Phooey on that!

As for paying, almost all places now let you swipe or insert the card beforehand, sign or punch in your pin, get receipt, go. It IS faster than the cashier can make change
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It IS faster than the cashier can make change
    Absolutly not true!!!!!..when I was working, a buddy and myself would go to a deli for lunch and we would go to 2 seperate cashires to pay ... he would always use a card and I would use cash and I would always be sitting down eating before he was finished...

Absolutely not true!!!!!..when I was working, a buddy and myself would go to a deli for lunch and we would go to 2 separate cashiers to pay ... he would always use a card and I would use cash and I would always be sitting down eating before he was finished...
    Either is faster than the elderly matron who, after the clerk has finished scanning the goods, starts looking into her purse for her check book. Then, she doesn't have a pen, so the clerk has to give her a pen. This gets her to the point where she can start writing the check. Her writing is slow and she has to pause to ask the amount once again. Eventually, she finishes and signs the check.

But, then the clerk has to get ID information and she starts rummaging through her purse once again, eventually pulling out her driver's license. The clerk then has to copy the information and finish ringing up the sale.

For some reason, I always seem to get behind someone like that.

Mike

[That's one reason I always try to go through the self checkout line.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Seems to me that "not sure of the PIN" is effectively the same thing as "can't remember a PIN".

The joke is the claim that Chip-and-Signature is as secure as Chip-and-PIN in the event of a stolen card. I can't remember EVER being asked to verify the "signature" I scribble with either pen or stylus.

JKJ
    Right. Back in my contracting days, I made many a purchase with another contractor's personal card (for a job we were both working, with his full knowledge), and I would sign my own name at checkout. Never got questioned.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Absolutly not true!!!!!..when I was working, a buddy and myself would go to a deli for lunch and we would go to 2 seperate cashires to pay ... he would always use a card and I would use cash and I would always be sitting down eating before he was finished...
    You're in Canada so I bet you are using chip cards with a PIN so it will be slower. Many places here in the USA are still swipe only for credit cards. I went out for lunch yesterday at a place that still uses the swipe instead of chip. I bet my swipe transaction was done before the drawer would have opened for a cash transaction. No signature required.

Why are new establishments still opening with POS systems that don't have chip card readers? I understand the cost to retrofit, but brand new equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    You're in Canada so I bet you are using chip cards with a PIN so it will be slower. Many places here in the USA are still swipe only for credit cards. I went out for lunch yesterday at a place that still uses the swipe instead of chip. I bet my swipe transaction was done before the drawer would have opened for a cash transaction. No signature required.

Why are new establishments still opening with POS systems that don't have chip card readers? I understand the cost to retrofit, but brand new equipment?
    There's a big penalty for establishments that don't have chip readers (since October of last year, if I recall correctly). If the establishment only has a swipe terminal and the card is bogus, the establishment eats the fraud. If the establishment has a chip reader and the card is bogus, the bank eats the fraud.

You'd think with a couple of frauds it would pay to put in chip readers.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    There's a big penalty for establishments that don't have chip readers (since October of last year, if I recall correctly). If the establishment only has a swipe terminal and the card is bogus, the establishment eats the fraud. If the establishment has a chip reader and the card is bogus, the bank eats the fraud.

You'd think with a couple of frauds it would pay to put in chip readers.
    The deadline for the liability change was actually Oct 2015. Gas stations have until sometime in 2018 I believe. It looks like some stations are starting to put in new pumps with card readers that will eventually do chips.

If your average ticket is really small the cost of fraud is also likely to be small. A lunch place with an average ticket of $10 isn't likely to lose much to fraud. Most thieves aren't going to buy lunch with a stolen card, and if they do $10 isn't a big loss. Thieves usually buy fairly expensive stuff they can sell for cash. The owner should be putting chip readers in place in any case and no excuse to open a new lunch place with new POS systems that don't have a chip reader.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 08-05-2017 at 7:23 PM.