Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Too Much Information.....TMI

Some businesses have new card machines that are capable of servicing chip cards as chip cards, but their card transaction processing firm doesn't support it yet. I find that to be pretty dumb, given the fraud liability exposure to the business, but they seem to shrug it off.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    There's a big penalty for establishments that don't have chip readers (since October of last year, if I recall correctly). If the establishment only has a swipe terminal and the card is bogus, the establishment eats the fraud. If the establishment has a chip reader and the card is bogus, the bank eats the fraud.

You'd think with a couple of frauds it would pay to put in chip readers.

Mike
    That's true to a point Mike. However I live in a semi rural area and many places which do not yet have chip readers also know their customers. I am guessing they may never have had a fraudulent card ran on them. I don't know the upgrade cost but they certainly do and may be waiting for the price to come down or for their current one to fail forcing an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I'm not crazy enough to live in hurricane country. Or tornado alley for that matter.
    LOL Brian, it's all a matter of perspective.

When the US was just starting work on the Affordable Care Act, I was at a motorcycle rally in Watkins Glen NY. Sitting around the candle that was the fire substitute, I heard from the other side of the circle "Go ask Rod, he's sitting right there, he's Canadian".

My heart sank, I was sure it was going to be one of those healthcare or handgun questions, that would leave the other person thinking I was slightly left of Joseph Stalin.

Instead it was someone from Alabama wondering how I could possibly live in a place that had snow storms. I explained that during a storm, I simply stayed home, had an extra mug of tea and watched the snow fall. I explained that when it was done I cleaned out the driveway, walkway etc and life returned to normal. He thought it was a terrible place to live and I should move away.

My response was "Well at least when I get a storm my house doesn't blow into my next door neighbours pool like when you get a tornado".

I guess it's all what we're accustomed to..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yeah, but.... what about a zombie apocalypse? Invasion by Canada? An asteroid strike?

JKJ
    1) Zombie Apocalypse.........Happens every Saturday at the mall near my house.

2) Invasion by Canada..........We already did that, burned the White House, got the bumper sticker for the buggy, went home again.

3) An asteroid strike..............Already happened, gave you guys that beautiful Gulf Coast.

regards, Rod.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/c...triot-act.html

It seems that you are NOT required to have a credit check, even if buying with cash (as in counting out $100 bills). Of course, a cash purchase causes other kinds of paperwork to be used, but, if they INSIST that you do a credit check and you take it to the top and they still insist, you might tell them to prepare to be paid in literal cash. My Father threatened this once and they pretty much pooped themselves to prevent him from doing exactly that. That was because they kept insisting about talking about financing and then asked him if his check was good.

They want the credit check for other reasons.

Andrew,

You have too approve any credit check for a purchase. Car dealers want credit checks because they charge fees to run your credit, many chare $400 to run your credit. When I purchased the truck for cash, the dealer was begging to run a credit check. When asked what the fee was to run it, he finally admitted it was $250. It's pure profit.

I have never been charged a credit check fee when buying a car. Any dealer who tried that would have an extra car on their lot to sell. My credit union doesn't charge any fees for an auto loan and the rates usually beat the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Cash always works. After three hacking incidents, I only use my debit card for a couple of specific retailers for gas and groceries. Otherwise, I get cash at my banks ATMs for everything else.

I do remember a few years in the '70s when my bank required a thumbprint to cash a check. Implanted chips are on the way.

Try renting something from the Home Depot Rental Store. Credit card only, no cash transactions!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Try renting something from the Home Depot Rental Store. Credit card only, no cash transactions!
    That's because you're not really paying for the tool, you are providing them a means to charge you if you take off with the tool. I'm sure you can pay for the actual rental fee in cash if you want and just have that credit card on file.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    That's because you're not really paying for the tool, you are providing them a means to charge you if you take off with the tool. I'm sure you can pay for the actual rental fee in cash if you want and just have that credit card on file.
    Nope. Not at my store. Credit card ONLY!

I use the credit cards for everything I possibly can. I will never see 1.5% on my checking account, but I get it on everything I buy. It adds up. I pay it off a few times a month. I believe my wife and I have been hacked twice over the years and it was zero hassle to get it removed.

I don't like the concept of electronic or even paper money in general and would prefer coins of all denominations (gold, silver, platinum up to $1000 etc.), but since everything including your checking, savings, credit line etc. are all just electronic records somewhere I have no issue using the card. It adds certain protections to the purchase and in today's society makes the transaction easier in most cases (My Lee Valley order posts immediately).

I have also handed all of my info to the gov't for my career and they have lost it multiple times, so I just don't worry so much as it accomplishes nothing.

I will never get a chip (implant) though, ever.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 08-25-2017 at 4:05 PM. Reason: clarity on chip meaning

I get a text alert every time I use my debit card if someone steels my numbers and trys to use it I'm notified immediately.
    Noah as far as chips go you may not have a choice. Stores that accept chips are now only accepting chips and if you don't have a chip you have to stand there and keep swiping till it accepts the swipe. I had to swipe 10 times the first time that happened. Also your new replacement cards will most likely come with a chip.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Do you even have to ask if this is a dumbed down society!

I am amazed at the number of people who cheerfully share personal information with the world - just look at the kinds of things posted on Facebook. I often have to remind my granddaughter that there are things that should never, ever be posted.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Noah as far as chips go you may not have a choice. Stores that accept chips are now only accepting chips and if you don't have a chip you have to stand there and keep swiping till it accepts the swipe. I had to swipe 10 times the first time that happened. Also your new replacement cards will most likely come with a chip.
    Lol. I mean getting myself chipped (implant). Believe it or not, people are doing that willingly I of course have chipped cards and didn't even think about the confusion.It is a good thing (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have never been charged a credit check fee when buying a car. Any dealer who tried that would have an extra car on their lot to sell. My credit union doesn't charge any fees for an auto loan and the rates usually beat the dealer.
    Likewise. I would never pay to run a credit check...