Thread: Question about hide glue

Question about hide glue

I'm currently in the middle of a project and using hide glue for the first time. I really like the stuff.

I've seen several people online make their own from plain rawhide chew toys (not flavored or any additives).

My question is since you can buy hide glue in different gram-strengths, if you make your own how do you accurately determine its strength? I'm not really curious about the end result working as it clearly does if you follow the right procedures.

I really just want to know how to find out the actual strength. That said, for what I'm doing any strength is strong enough so it's really me just wanting to learn something.

Thanks!

- Paul

Accurate measurement? Construct a test device and comply with the Bloom strength measurement procedure. Gram strength roughly correlates to - but is not a direct measurement of actual strength in tension, shear, etc. as seen in joints.

That said, all the cool kids are winging it...

https://www.westdean.org.uk/study/sc...collagen-glues

Milligan and Higgins provides hide glue in about every strength you might imagine needing; 80, 110, 135, 164, 192, 222, 251, 280, 315, 347, 379, 411, 444, 478, 512 Jelly Grams. Here's a dealer http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/s...L.XX/Hide_Glue

192 is the most typical woodworking strength. You could roughly assess your homemade glue by comparing it to these known "standards".

Making it is a nasty, stinky process with uncertain results. I can't imagine wanting to do that other than once as a curiosity. The commercial product is of very good quality and not very expensive. I'd like to see this last manufacturer in the US stay in business, so I buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Making it is a nasty, stinky process with uncertain results. I can't imagine wanting to do that other than once as a curiosity.
    Skill-building for the Zombie Apocalypse (which itself will be stinky and nasty what with decomposing bodies walking all over the place).

If you're prepping for the Zombie Apocalypse, consider rabbit glue. Easier to replicate quickly...

Here's a quick primer on hide glue prep:
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...aring-the-glue

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    If you're prepping for the Zombie Apocalypse, consider rabbit glue. Easier to replicate quickly...
    HAHAHAHA.... everyone knows that zombies hide all the rabbits. So I have to kill a zombie to take his rabbits so I can make weapons to kill zombies.

(I'll look into rabbit glue - thanks!)