Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Drill Press problem with bolt for table tilt

Delta Drill Press problem with bolt for table tilt

I just got a brand new Delta Drill Press (Model #18-900L), it's an 18" press.
    Anyway, as with all new tools I like to go through each function/feature to make sure everything works as it should.
    Everything was going great until I attempted to tilt the table to either side.
    For the life of me, I could not get that bolt to budge (The bolt that must be loosened to enable you to tilt the table)

I FINALLY got it to turn, and I tilted the table to each side, and NOW, I cannot get that bolt to tighten back up! There is an index pin to reset the table to a flat 90 degrees, and that is the only thing preventing the table from tilting to either side (The table would be unusable if it weren't for that indexing pin)

The bolt just turns and turns and turns, never making any purchase in a threaded receptor (Like a nut).

Does anyone know how in the heck you tighten this bolt? There HAS to be some kind of trick to it - all I did was loosen the darn thing, and now I cannot tighten it back up! I have written to Delta Support, and am awaiting their response, but I thought I'd check here - I am sure there are more knowledgeable people here anyway!

The Table Bolt is labeled (TT) in the attached page from the manual.

I am VERY upset and worried about this. I don't have a lot of money so a machine like this is a BIG deal to me, and to have broken it after only 2 days - makes me almost sick to my stomach. It's also a 260 lb machine. I had to bother a friend with a truck to get it home from the store. I can't exactly just plop it in the trunk of my car to bring it in to a repair shop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carlson View Post
    I just got a brand new Delta Drill Press (Model #18-900L), it's an 18" press.
    Anyway, as with all new tools I like to go through each function/feature to make sure everything works as it should.
    Everything was going great until I attempted to tilt the table to either side.
    For the life of me, I could not get that bolt to budge (The bolt that must be loosened to enable you to tilt the table)

I FINALLY got it to turn, and I tilted the table to each side, and NOW, I cannot get that bolt to tighten back up! There is an index pin to reset the table to a flat 90 degrees, and that is the only thing preventing the table from tilting to either side (The table would be unusable if it weren't for that indexing pin)

The bolt just turns and turns and turns, never making any purchase in a threaded receptor (Like a nut).

Does anyone know how in the heck you tighten this bolt? There HAS to be some kind of trick to it - all I did was loosen the darn thing, and now I cannot tighten it back up! I have written to Delta Support, and am awaiting their response, but I thought I'd check here - I am sure there are more knowledgeable people here anyway!

The Table Bolt is labeled (TT) in the attached page from the manual.

I am VERY upset and worried about this. I don't have a lot of money so a machine like this is a BIG deal to me, and to have broken it after only 2 days - makes me almost sick to my stomach. It's also a 260 lb machine. I had to bother a friend with a truck to get it home from the store. I can't exactly just plop it in the trunk of my car to bring it in to a repair shop.
    If it took that much force to loosen the bolt (elsewhere, you say you used a 24" breaker bar), perhaps you snapped the bolt. :-(
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

It looks like that table tilts in two ways? I agree you probably stripped the threads in the cast iron. They probably lock tited it and cross threaded it on assembly. No point in taking it apart, you will have to return the entire machine to get a replacement or refund.
    I would call and find out if you can even buy a replacement casting. Just for your information. I doubt if the factory in China is set up to provide parts. If you can not, I would buy a used machine with equal parts support.
    Bill

IF you needed a 24" breaker bar to loosen the bolt, something was wrong. It is almost inconceivable that the factory would have used loctite on the bolt. Rare to see loctite used in a Chinese factory even where they should use it.

It should have required around 50-70 ft/lb to loosen that size bolt. A 200 pound pull on a 24" breaker bar would be 400 ft/lb, which could break a bolt that size OR strip the threads out of the cast iron if you were pulling the wrong direction.

Probably best to go ahead and try to remove the bolt to see the problem part.

If the bolt stripped the cast iron, it will probably be easiest to tap the cast iron for the next larger bolt or helicoil it for a size the same as the original.

Get a literally almost 70 yr old Delta, from the 50's or 60's.

United States of America made.....you will not have these problems.

Sorry, but fact is research before buying tools.

Return that thing you got, unless you need it for a contracted job TODAY.

We, or at least I, would be glad to help you find an awesome drill press that will last for generations to come, for similar $. Marc
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-03-2017 at 3:35 PM. Reason: inappropriate comments

I agree, it doesn't sound good. It's time to take it up with the supplier, emphasizing that you followed the instructions to a "T".

Doug - Post your approximate location ideally permanently under your name, if unsure how, at least in the Thread. Marc

Blog Entries
    This has got to be disappointing. My 17-950 uses a very similar mechanism (as do a lot of drill presses). The bolt is simply threaded through the trunnion casting (called the table bracket in your parts diagram) into the knuckle housing (called the bracket assembly in your parts diagram). These are both castings that are machined for their various functions. Unless I am missing something on the parts diagram and there was some reason to stray from a mechanism that has worked for many decades, there is no 'nut' or other part that the bolt threads into . . . just the machined casting.

I would have to agree that it sounds like you stripped the threads out of the 'bracket assembly'. You could certainly completely remove the bolt to confirm this. BE CAREFUL . . . the trunnion and anything still attached to it, like the table, will come free when you pull the bolt. I would pull the table before I pulled the bolt to make things easier to handle.

If you got really lucky, the bolt stripped instead of the casting and all you have to do is replace the 16mm bolt. Not likely but, one can hope. If the bolt comes out and looks serviceable, the casting is most likely stripped. This was a large purchase for you. A proper repair is probably my best advise in order to move on past this.

P.s. My brother has this DP and got it after returning a PM2800 (they were fraught with problems and the new version is supposed to be quite good). IMHO Delta is superior to the original 2800 in many ways when you get to use them side by side.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Doug, the good news is that cast iron is soft and easy to drill and tap new threads, if necessary. I realize this is a big purchase but once you get past this you'll really enjoy the drill press. If you bought it local, maybe your supplier knows someone who can give you a hand fixing it. Many woodworkers are proficient with machine repair, out of necessity.

My 25 year old Delta drill press has an alignment pin at the 90 degree position. If you have an alignment pin, it would prevent you from tilting the table.

Thanks everyone who weighed in.
    So - I pulled the bolt out and low and behold, the threads of the bolt were filled with the broken (female) threads from the collar that attaches the table to the column. When I finally was able to turn that bolt, the threads were clean off of the interior of the collar.
    So.... I tried to get ahold of Delta. What a crock!
    First call: I sat on hold for 32 minutes before I was helped by a nice southern gent named Steve. He was a good guy but all he could suggest was that something was stripped - and he gave me the names of 2 authroized service centers in my area.
    I called one of them up - and they said that they had such a terrible time working with Delta that they had parts ordered in February that still hadn't arrived - so they said they would happy to help me out - but it might be quicker and easier for me to deal with Delta myself.
    OK...
    So I called Delta back. 46 minutes on hold. Finally got through to Steve again. He was sympathetic - but I didnt get the feeling that he could really do much to help me. He told me I would have to send in the collar that the threads were stripped out of. It's probably a 15 lb piece, so I am not too excited to ship that dang thing back to Delta - on my nickel, of course.
    So Steve told me to email him a scanned copy of the receipt and some pictures. I did t his yesterday. I have emailed them 3 times in the last week. I have not heard one single acknowledgement of my emails (despite very clearly ASKING for them to at least tell me they got the darn email in the first place). Emailing them is a fools errand. NOthing happens. No acknowledgement, no reply - NOTHING.

So, this morning a thought occurred to me. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but the Big Box Store that I bought this thing from will take it back. It is well within their return window and I have the receipt - and the dang thing is defective. So tonight my neighbor is going to help me take it back to the store. They don't have any in stock, so they have to special order it - which means the new one will get shipped to my house.

So I am going to try it one more time because, despite this one issue, I was really happy and satisfied with everything else on that machine.
    The motor was smooth and quiet. The runout was minimal. The speeds were easy to change, and so on. It's a solid machine. I think.

So... the big lesson I learned is that Delta has the WORST customer service I have EVER experienced in ANY industry.
    It is such a miserable experience, I am seriously thinking about soliciting my services as a consultant to help whip them into shape - I spent many, many years in the CS game and have the scars to prove it. I don't think it was quite so bad when they were a part of Black & Decker - but now that they aren't?
    It's absolutely MISERABLE trying to deal with them. You just sit on hold and sit on hold and sit on hold and the employee that you eventually talk to is just as frustrated as you are and is powerless to do anything meaningful to help you out.

So - the lesson I learned was keep that receipt and deal with the store you bought it from because if you have to deal with Delta directly - you are SCREWED.

Thanks again all

Doug

UPDATE:
    Steve from Delta DID acknowledge having received my email. HE reported that he received it and had forwarded it upstream, and would get bk to me when he has an update.
    Last edited by Doug Carlson; 08-04-2017 at 9:15 AM. Reason: Added an Update

Doug - PLEASE !! ........Oh PLEASE..... Do not get another Jineez DP.

You have not yet , at least that I saw, given your geo location.

Let me find you a DP to last generations.

Or whatever you like, Marc

Something like this---

HOowdy MArc -
    I am in St P aul. I am going to stick with the Delta my friend - but I appreciate your willingness to help!

Doug

One last try - being a snarky old coot as I am, How someone would not prefer this, (or a similar old Powermatic, Clausing, etc. or equivalent) in their shop compared to "new" for ballpark similar end result money is beyond my brain..... Marc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inb_0v7tTwU
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 08-03-2017 at 7:55 PM.