Thread: Max size photo

Max size photo

To insert a photo, what is the max size.
    Thanks Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard b miller View Post
    To insert a photo, what is the max size.
    Thanks Rich
    Do you mean image size (number of pixels) or file size (number of kilobytes?)

There are some stated maximums somewhere here (don't have time to look right now) but unlike some other forums I frequent my tests showed them to be more guidelines than absolute maximums.

Here is what I do to make sure any image I post on any forum will work:
    - Resize the image to something like 640x480 or so (actually 600-800 in the longest direction)
    - Compress the jpg to keep the file size at 100K or less.

This may sound extreme but the images are "good enough" for almost anything, certainly for viewing on a computer screen. Some examples, see what you think:

carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg handmirrors_two.jpg tops01.jpg BEE_P6210931e.jpg

If you need help with resizing or compressing the images just ask.

JKJ

The max file size is 107kb.
    Resizing to 800 by 600 generally keeps the file size within limits.

Nice pictures John, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by keith outten View Post
    the max file size is 107kb.
    Resizing to 800 by 600 generally keeps the file size within limits.
    That's what I don't understand. I tried a test just now, uploading a picture at random. (A rather poor photo, I must say - focus is HORRIBLE!)

This file was 1.99 megs and image size was 3848x2432:
    IMG_5171.jpg
    It uploaded and displays OK here, at least for me.

The forum software must have some resizing algorithm built-in, perhaps hidden. The process automatically reduced the image to 1200x800 as it was uploaded. Saving the expanded thumbnail back to my drive gave me 46.2K file size. Interesting.

Thanks for the photo comment! I loves to bein' takin' the photographs. Mama took my Kodachrome away but replaced it with sumpin far better!

jkj

Yep, our forum software is capable of resizing photos during an upload but it doesn't always work. I think that sometimes the amount of traffic causes our server to just reject large files rather than spending the clock cycles and processing power to do all the work required. Honestly I really prefer everyone to resize their pictures themselves rather than giving up the bandwidth to receive very large files even if our server does automatically resize them. You do know that some people try to upload 25 to 50 meg files here often, they just don't understand whats involved.

Its minuscule on your end but we move a monumental amount of data on our end every day and commercial bandwidth ain't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Yep, our forum software is capable of resizing photos during an upload but it doesn't always work. I think that sometimes the amount of traffic causes our server to just reject large files rather than spending the clock cycles and processing power to do all the work required. Honestly I really prefer everyone to resize their pictures themselves rather than giving up the bandwidth to receive very large files even if our server does automatically resize them. You do know that some people try to upload 25 to 50 meg files here often, they just don't understand whats involved.

Its minuscule on your end but we move a monumental amount of data on our end every day and commercial bandwidth ain't cheap
    When I did a test for another forum member I found SMC would accept one file and reject another consistently at different attempts although both were about the same size. The difference appeared to be the relative amount of high frequency data in the image (the amount of detail.) I assume the algorithm rejects an image when the compression quality level would have to drop below some threshold.

I do very much agree that resizing locally is far better for all of us, one reason I resize to 100k max even when a larger file would work. (at one time I connected with a phone modem and another time I worked from home over a snail-like satellite internet connection - when my data transfer needs exceeded my patience threshold I put the data on a disk and did the 1-hr drive to the Lab!)

We found in other forums over the years that people with varying backgrounds have difficulty figuring out how to adjust image and file sizes. I use a Photoshop to reduce the size and a command called "save for web" to compress - painless, always works! But the free and "easy" image programs don't always make this easy or even possible in some cases. Fortunately there are some good on-line methods. Good friend Ellis W. wrote this about how to use one web method:

Resizing images for Posting. I've chosen a popular and simple sizing site, Picresize.com for this tutorial. Here's how to resize an image using Picresize.com. [Note: this assumes you've already saved your oversize (camera) image to your computer.]

1. Go to the picresize.com home page.
    2. Hit the browse button and select your picture.
    3. Click the little "Quick resize" text link under the browse box.
    4. Set the Custom size to a width of 800 px and the Max file size to 100Kb
    5. Click the big "Quick resize my Picture!" button.
    6. When the page changes, select View Image, to make sure your picture looks the way you want it to look.
    7. Then come back to the page and click Save to Disk. The resized image will be saved to your computer with a new filename that starts with "rsz"

Picresize has more advanced features too, should you want to crop or manipulate your images when you edit them. For the more advanced features, click the orange "Continue" button under the browse box instead of the "Quick Resize" text link.
    -Ellis.

JKJ

Paint in Windows has a resize feature built in, open picture, click resize button and select pixels, insert size and save.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks guys. I too use Paint to resize.
    btw- MS has done away with Paint.

Rich
    Isn't it nice they know what we want and don't want!

theres a free program called Fotosizer you just drag and drop your photo into it and hit start it will reduce a 1 megfile to about 70kb in a second then just upload the reduced file
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-23-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fixed spelling
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander