Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Dovetail saw guides

Magnetic Dovetail saw guides

So has anyone had any experience with any of these?

Advantages or disadvantages of any of them?

http://www.katzmoseswoodworking.com/...crosscut-guide

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=41718

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/d...saw-guide.aspx

Any reason to get one over the other?

Hi,
    You may receive a reply or two that will call these guides "training wheels" and tell you to practice dovetailing without a guide enough that you won't need one. Maybe they have a point. I try to keep a foot in each camp. I like dovetailing without a guide, but I'm also a big fan of the Barron guide (Highland) which gives me speed and repeatable, precise results. It's like riding a bicycle to work some days and driving a car other days. Who says one excludes the other?

However, you didn't ask for philosophical advice so in more direct response to your question:

Thumbs down on the Lee Valley guide
    Two thumbs up the David Barron guide (his free videos are great also). I have the 1:5 and the 1:6 and alternate between them depending on thickness of stock and the look I'm after
    No experience with the KatzMoses guide so I can't help there

Happy Dovetailing!
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 08-02-2017 at 6:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    You may receive a reply or two that will call these guides "training wheels" and tell you to practice dovetailing without a guide enough that you won't need one.
    I'll be that guy: IMO, this guide is unnecessary and, more, would probably impede one's progress as a craftsman. 90% of the dovetail cuts any of us will ever make will be an inch or less in length -- it's really not difficult to keep a short cut like that straight.

The David Barron is the only one I have experience with. Highly recommended.
    However, it is like a sharpening guide - useful only to a point.
    As you progress, you will want to learn to saw to a line in order to make ANY joint.
    In the meantime, this will get you dovetails that fit well.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Hi -

If you're not buying ours (patented), please buy David's - he is licensed to make it. The first one listed violates our US patent...

Cheers -

Rob
    (who hates putting on the "Goliath" shirt..... but that's the law)

Blog Entries
    I used a guide for awhile - it was the LV. It worked fine but was time consuming for me. I opted instead to draw the lines and cut to them - that also worked well. For the past several years though, I've adopted the Klauze method which is by eye. While obviously not as precise, it works for me because it's quick and more than acceptable results.

I'm another fan of the Barron guides. Yes, you can practice and get proficient without guides, but the guides will help you get beautiful dovetails immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

If you're not buying ours (patented), please buy David's - he is licensed to make it. The first one listed violates our US patent...

Cheers -

Rob
    Kudos to David Barron for doing it right (and to Veritas for licensing the patent on terms that allow Barron to price competitively).

Blog Entries
    https://literaryworkshop.wordpress.c...vetail-marker/

I made this one at Homestead Heritage. It works.

I also have and use the Kell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Cheers -

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Dorn View Post
    I used a guide for awhile - it was the LV. It worked fine but was time consuming for me. I opted instead to draw the lines and cut to them - that also worked well. For the past several years though, I've adopted the Klauze method which is by eye. While obviously not as precise, it works for me because it's quick and more than acceptable results.

Sorry, what is infringing on what patent? I'm not sure who "ours" actually are.

'Ours' in Rob's post is Lee Valley. He's the president of LV. So in this case David Barron is licensed to manufacture under Veritas' (Lee Valley) patent, but Katz Moses is not.

I have a Veritas dovetail guide and it works just fine. People often complain about it not working so well with their backsaws, but it is designed to be used with a thin kerf japanese saw, with set on only one side, like a flush cut saw. When used properly it works fine.

That said, it definitely is one of the tools in my shop that I forget about for long periods of time, as cutting 'freehand' is not all that difficult...so if I could go back in time I would not purchase any dovetail guide and use that money for something else.

Disclaimers:

1. I have never used one of these.
    2. I do not own a saw that would work with them. The saws are inexpensive though...

When I cut my dovetails, they are not perfect. When I need to cut perfectly vertical, well, sometimes my eyes and hands do not want to work together. I have on more than one occasion, set a square to show me true vertical. It helps a lot when I drop vertical lines and then I can follow the line, but it can still be helpful to have a reference for starting.

Especially when training muscle memory, these seems like it would be a great thing. It also assumes that you will be using the type of saw that you are learning with. In other words, I am unsure how cutting well using a pull saw with no set on one side will translate into the cuts that I make with my Western backsaw.

I have stared longingly at these in the Lee Valley catalog imagining my perfect cuts every time, but I never really wanted to spent the money to find out if the improved cutting would translate into less total time spent after factoring in the time it takes to fix imperfect fit because of imperfect cuts. I have certainly spent lots of time when I don't get it exactly right messing with the exactly this so that the final product looks perfect to the untrained eye.

So, if I had easy access to a set, I would test it, beat on it, and see how much time it saved me in the long run. Setup time may be longer, but, it may save time elsewhere, especially when starting out.

I do not have a guide. Does anyone else find it funny that we try so hard to make hand cut dovetails look machine made and the machine side try's to make them look hand cut. Maybe the machine side will find a way to introduce some over cuts and the hand side will come up with a three sided chisel to make the perfect imprint.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I do not have a guide. Does anyone else find it funny that we try so hard to make hand cut dovetails look machine made and the machine side try's to make them look hand cut. Maybe the machine side will find a way to introduce some over cuts and the hand side will come up with a three sided chisel to make the perfect imprint.
    Jim
    How much time I spend making it look perfect is dependent on its use and who will see it. I built a chest that holds tools. All the drawers are hand-cut dovetails. I did not fix any gaps. I tried to cut them perfectly, since only perfect practice makes perfect, but they are never perfect. I built an URN:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...79#post2715179

I spent much time fixing any gaps when I built the URN. This is the finished product:

URN_Finished.jpg

A cursory look seems pretty good and an untrained person is likely to assume that I really cut almost perfect dovetails by hand. A closer inspection shows differently

URN_Dovetail_Gap.jpg

OK, it still looks pretty good, but I had a small gap at the bottom of the dovetail. You can likely see where I filled it. I know that this will be examined very closely by people who really do care that it looks nice. I could have just done it on a machine, but, the spacing is not uniform. I can do that with the jigs now days, but I don't own a jig that will do that.

You can see the scribe lines where I marked the base of my tails. I was told that even in machine cut dovetails, sometimes these scribe lines are added so that people think that they were done by hand. I was amused. Then again, I also don't really understand purposely stressing furniture so that it has that "old and abused" look if you are not trying to make it match an existing set.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    So, if I had easy access to a set, I would test it, beat on it, and see how much time it saved me in the long run. Setup time may be longer, but, it may save time elsewhere, especially when starting out.
    I have the LV one, but haven't used it in quite some time. Like you I see slight imperfection as part of the aesthetic of hand-made pieces. I also decided at some point that my time was better spent practicing so that I could cut straight (enough).

With that said I think that using a simple magnetic quide like this is a reasonable compromise, and I have nothing against them. It's not as soul-destroying as a JointMaker Pro for example.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-08-2017 at 1:51 PM.