Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic Dovetail saw guides

Imho it is harder to place the saw properly than it is to saw straight. Practice free handing vertical cuts. It gets easier with practice and is a valuable skill to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Imho it is harder to place the saw properly than it is to saw straight. Practice free handing vertical cuts. It gets easier with practice and is a valuable skill to develop.
    Yeah, I used "straight" as a shorthand for "along the desired line". As you say "straight" is easy unless the saw is poorly sharpened.

I have the Dave Baron guide. I used it on just one project. I didn't care for it. Dave used a Japanese saw with it, I have back saws. The problem with back saws is depth of the cut. I was putting dovetails in 3/4 inch stock, so you need a tenon saw that cuts at least 3 inches. My tenon saw is tapered. That caused me to remove the guide, before finishing the cut. You could see where I removed the guide on the dovetail.

Blog Entries
    Did you ever hear "Hold the saw like you're holding baby bird". In other words, hold the saw loosely and let it track in the kerf. Try it, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Did you ever hear "Hold the saw like you're holding baby bird". In other words, hold the saw loosely and let it track in the kerf. Try it, it works.
    I do, and it works when you saw continuously. When you stop sawing, and peel the guide off the saw. Then start sawing again, you can see where you stoped and started again. The magnets on the Dave Baron guide are very strong. I couldn't get the guide off, without stoping. Like I stated earlier Dave Baron suggests using a Japanese saw, my guess was it was for that reason.

I tested the Barron – it works as advertised and I do think it's a great way to get good results if you're new to sawing. But in the long run, as was mentioned above, learning to saw to a line – any line – is key to great work! http://www.popularwoodworking.com/to...dovetail-guide

Blog Entries
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=s...etail%20marker

Check this link. You should find something you like.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I do not have a guide. Does anyone else find it funny that we try so hard to make hand cut dovetails look machine made and the machine side try's to make them look hand cut. Maybe the machine side will find a way to introduce some over cuts and the hand side will come up with a three sided chisel to make the perfect imprint.
    Jim
    I have often asked the same question, do as Frank Klaus does, no mark out at all apart from depth and the first board cut is used as the template for the second. marking out DT's to precise measurements seems to defeat the object of looking hand made.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    I mark my dovetails with a pencil and saw free hand with a dovetail saw. A small, sharp saw helps.
    I have a Lie Nielsen dovetail saw. I've had it for 15-20 years. I have their dove tail, carcass rip, and carcass crosscuts saws.

They were expensive, but amortized for 15 years, not that expensive. Buy a poor tool, weep , and it gets discarded.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-11-2017 at 11:45 PM.