Thread: Geo. H. Bishop saw

Geo. H. Bishop saw

I bought this saw at second hand store. $10. One side has been cleaned up. Other side has spots of rust and other contaminant. Generally appears unused to me. Geo Bishop. Greyhound , Ind. made exclusively for Ware Bros. Company , Spokane Wash. Stamped 12 right bottom of the blade. I am not a saw collector as such, but his one was different from the norm and caught my eye. Interested in possible worth and any thoughts on this saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C&C WELCOME

Blog Entries
    That looks to be a keeper. Bishop made some very nice saws. The value is what someone will pay. The best way to find the value would be to watch completed sales on ebay. Doesn't look like many have sold above ~$30.

I have a Bishop #10, a nice little saw for joinery and such.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-02-2017 at 7:14 PM. Reason: wording & spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, the number 12 on the blade, is that a saw model# or teeth per inch? My tooth count is 11 per inch. Blade is 26". Thanks for the info.
    C&C WELCOME

Points per Inch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Jim, the number 12 on the blade, is that a saw model# or teeth per inch? My tooth count is 11 per inch. Blade is 26". Thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Points per Inch
    The 12 is as Steven say points per inch. 12 points per inch is the same as 11 teeth per inch. Two different ways to count teeth.

Maybe it was because sawyers were upset at one time because sharpening folks were getting all the ink in the trade journals so they had to start their own little controversy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thats a steal for 10 bucks. I have one and it is my favorite and by far most used saw. I only have 4 full size saws, which is honestly more than I need. The other three are disstons. mine is 10 PPI and 20" long. Here is a pic just on the off chance anyone besides me is interested lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a gorgeous saw, and for 10 bucks you stole it. Bishop saws generally don't garner the same attention & sale prices that Disston or Atkins saws do so it's tough to actually get what the saw is worth as a user unless you find someone who knows saws. If I were selling it sharpened, I'd probably ask between 75 and 100 bucks.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Beautiful saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That looks to be a keeper. Bishop made some very nice saws. The value is what someone will pay. The best way to find the value would be to watch completed sales on ebay. Doesn't look like many have sold above ~$30.

I have a Bishop #10, a nice little saw for joinery and such.

jtk
    I too have a Bishop #10 backsaw. it's a unique piece.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Frank,
    Are those brass saw nuts, I can't tell from the picture.
    I have been known to put brass saw nuts on my old saws, but if I do,
    I save the originals in case I ever want to dispose of the saw.
    A new owner might prefer the originals.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-06-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Interesting saws. Thanks to all who took the time to respond. Allan
    C&C WELCOME