Thread: Grandson's Plate

Grandson's Plate

Last day of visit, grandson wanted to turn a plate as his third turning. I found a 11.5" D Walnut blank cut from a 5/4 board scrap brought to club meeting at least 8 years back. Mounted the blank on a faceplate on my little Nova Comet II 12" swing, and he started at 10:00 that morning. Turned the outside and a recess for #4 jaws on Stronghold chuck with 1-1/4 x 1 reducer insert, and then mounted on chuck to do the inside. He used my 4" PVC vacuum chuck to clean up the recess and change shape to only leave a ring for support and not the obvious recess for chuck. Sanded to 320 grit and then applied a couple of coats of Mahoney Walnut Oil. Set down to dry at 11:45 to eat lunch and prepare to leave. Photos taken at 12:13. I am proud of the final result and wish there would have been more time to do an even better job. I told him it is a using plate and to add oil with time and use.

IMG_1999.JPG IMG_1997.JPG
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 08-04-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: rotate images

Thanks for sharing ,think he will stay interested. I see another career possibility...... flashback movie scenes as the young
    Liam Nieson carachter!

You are blessed to have a grandson interested enough to want to turn. My grandson could not even be interested in turning a pen, had to go back to his computer. Great job on the plate, and thank you for the posting.

The boys a natural! Of course he had a good teacher. Great looking plate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Last day of visit, grandson wanted to turn a plate as his third turning. ...
    Excellent. And what a great grandpa! You must have the perfect touch for teaching and encouragement. He will look forward to his next visit.

(Is gravity different where you live? )

JKJ

(Is gravity different where you live? )

JKJ[/QUOTE]

Still haven't figured out how to rotate pictures here. Gravity works fine in TX but posting to SMC, seems to turn things 90 degrees.

That's pretty special. Congratulations!

Thomas, your images had the meta data still attached - which is the camera information attached to every digital image that lists the camera settings, exposure, lens, focus, etc. If you remove that info before uploading to SMC, the images will have the correct orientation. If not, then the image will display with the orientation of your camera when you took the photo. If you have any questions about how to remove the meta-data, please send me a PM and we'll figure something out.

Oh, and be sure to let your grandson know that he turned a very nice platter and should be proud!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve. I send the phone photos to my email and everything looks OK there. It is when posting to SMC that things get "twisted". I will send PM.