Thread: Unique Work Table? Pics

Unique Work Table? Pics

How about this industrial strength work table? The platform raises and lowers by a foot pedal. I was thinking of using it for general woodworking assembly and a welding table.

That looks stout. What is the top made of? You could possibly sister a larger top over the existing one to make a larger work surfaced if desired.
    Jeff

The top is cast iron about 1 1/4" in depth with a ribbed structure similar to a table saw top. It's certainly stout but I think the best feature is being able to move the top up and down simply by the foot pedal. It should make a good welding table as is but as member Jefferey Scott mentioned a larger top could be bolted on for woodworking chores. There are already holes in the cast iron top at each corners.

Great work table Steve. It's a very rare find indeed.

It should make a great rolling work table. Not sure of the official name but we called them die tables back in my mold making days.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    It should make a great rolling work table. Not sure of the official name but we called them die tables back in my mold making days.
    Thanks for the heads up on what the table is called. It helped in finding more info online. The one shown in the link below is exactly like it. I was wondering what color I should paint it but after reading the description in the link I may finish it the same way, brushed metal with clear coat lacquer. Any other suggestions on a finish?

https://www.urbanremainschicago.com/...k-casters.html

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on what the table is called. It helped in finding more info online. The one shown in the link below is exactly like it. I was wondering what color I should paint it but after reading the description in the link I may finish it the same way, brushed metal with clear coat lacquer. Any other suggestions on a finish?

https://www.urbanremainschicago.com/...k-casters.html

They're pretty proud of it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    They're pretty proud of it!
    I wonder what the same manufacturer is still getting for the same table they are still making? I'll wager that it's at least twice the amount requested in the previous link insanely priced as it may be.

https://www.themidwesttool.com/hydraulic-lift-tables

According to the manufacturer the table has a 2000 lb. capacity and weighs almost 500 lbs.

From a quality standpoint the Northern Tool hydraulic tables are less attractive but for the price they are great tables. I own four of them three are 300 pound models and one is 700 pound capacity.

Years ago I had a three year contract building cabinets for a local school system so I purchased my first hydraulic table for this job. I made a large plywood top and bolted it to the table so we could raise and lower the cabinet shells during fabrication. Installing and sanding the trim was a snap when we could work at the right height, we also used it for installation of the shelves since the cabinets were five feet tall and had multiple shelves we adjusted the height to a comfortable working height for each shelf.

These days I use my hydraulic tables to move sign blanks from machine to machine around my shop. Often I put a pallet on the top of the table, when the signs are completed I can roll the table over to the door and pick them up with pallet forks on my tractor so I can move them either to my van or to my storage container. Corian signs are pretty heavy, several hundred signs on any project makes material handling a serious chore.

The table my small wood lathe is on allows me to adjust the height in seconds, my daughters have been known to use my lathe to turn pens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The hydraulic tables that Keith mentioned are indeed far more practical and cost effective. They also drop down lower, for loading heavy items from the floor. I contacted Midwest Tool & Engineering to get a replacement table lock handle and was informed they still sell the exact same table for over $3k, not an amount the average DIY'er is willing to pay for a specialized lift table. Industry still has a need for them though. I stripped the paint off the top this morning and plan to do a few practice MIG welds on some stuff to see how it works.