Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase Converter

Question Phase Converter

I am soon going to need a phase converter. The maximum simultaneous load I can envision is a 7.5 hp table saw, a 3 hp jointer, and for arguments sake lets add a 5 hp dust collection system. I have read a good deal about them but time to get the end users input.
    Pros, cons, recommendations on sizing, and experiences please with theses animals! Brands to go after..ones to avoid? All information will be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Jim
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

James I have and run a 10hp Phasemaster From Kay. Its so quite that I sometimes forget to turn it off.
    I use it to start a 5 hp direct drive jointer.
    I used to have a Rpc from Phonix phase converters and I hated it because it was so load and it rattled the wall next were it was sitting.
    So would not recommend them.
    Aj

It's all about the quality of the motor and how well balanced the voltage is under normal load. The more the load varies. the better electonics you need inside the box. Kay and Arco use a special motor ( I don't remember the details ) and don't use start caps, only run caps. You can also just buy the electrics in a box and use your own motor. Different companies size their units differently. Kay and Arco label theirs by the largest hard starting motor it run start, others need to be oversized. When you price out a Phoenix, Great Lakes, or Am Rotary, you must compare a 15-20 hp unit to match a Kay or Arco 10 hp. Read up and talk to different companies. There are forums that talk a lot about RPCs. I ran a Kay for years but now use a Phase Perfect. The PP is expensive but worth it in my world. A 10 hp PP will run your stuff but cost about 4K. The benefit is the voltage is balanced within 2% not matter the motor size. Dave

Andrew my jointer and table saw are both direct drive . Sounds like maybe a 20 hp unit would easily handle every I have in mind.
    David that's good stuff about the comparison pricing. I would not have known that. PP is gonna out of my price range I'm afraid.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Ouch!! I just looked up the 20 hp Kay unit. $3000

When I bought the first converter from Phonix I was trying to stay in a budget and what my service could handle.Since I'm in a residential houses built in the 50s I was limited.
    Currently my service from the utility has been pumped up twice with a new line drop and a 27 kW transformer that I share with neighbors.So I could go bigger now.But do your home work
    The surge and run from everything must be calculated.You don't want to buy too big of a Rpc and find out you have a soft service.
    I still blink the light in the house a tiny bit.
    Good luck and call Phasemaster they are great to talk to.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 08-03-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Aj

When I set mine up I called Kay Industries , told them what I needed to run and bought the one they suggested.no problems in 12 years . I fed mine into a 3 phase panel so I can add more circuits if needed . Mine will start a 25hp and run a total of 75. Not sure about the smaller ones but mine needed a fused disconnect on the incoming side. I started out with a nonfused one because that is what I had and I blew the fuse on the power companies transformer on the pole. Kay is a great. Company to work with and has excellent customer support.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

James, call Kay but I think a 10 hp is closer to what you need. If that limits you in future you can always run the DC off a vfd and a separate circuit. The 10 hp Kay puts out 30-35 amps on the generated leg if I remember right and multiple motors running help each other out so you can handle more than you think. Dave

I have a 10 hp Kay also. The spec say it will start up to 10 hp and will run a total of 20 hp at one time.

I called the power company today to come out and evaluate the cost/possibility of 3 phase to the house. Visit to be scheduled. I had priced the upgrade from my current 100 amp service to 200 amp; and all three of the electricians mentioned that I was probably only getting about 60 amps max on my existing "old style" meter. No idea if that is valid or not, but I'm assuming a 3 ph service will require it's own meter or an upgrade/replacement of the existing.

Dave and Bradley from what I'm reading you guys are on the mark for what I'm gonna need. The 10 hp unit is still not cheap.
    Looks like Kay is at the front of the line.

Andrew I will talk with Phasemaster as well. Hard to have too much information.

Steve that's a big dog of a converter! Way out of my league.
    The separate 3 ph panel is exactly what I had in mind. I like the idea of adding new circuits if my layout changes.

Phase-A-Matic is a great company to deal with. I live not too far so I just walked in the door to the factory and they were amazingly helpful for a little guy with a little shop. I walked out with a static converter that they just built and tested it right in front of me. They have small static converters and huge rotary ones, as well, in addition to voltage regulators and transformers. Well worth a telephone call... 1-800-962-6976

Find a good old heavy 254 frame cast iron motor, 1750 rpm, add a control panel. Best control panel I ever owned was from Parrish electric in Monroe IN. All solid state controls. Feed a MLO Siemens panel and pipe your circuit's out of there. 15hp panel from them was 400.00, used motor was 175, surplus panel with breakers was 275, misc wiring, lugs, disconnects, etc. was a few hundred bucks.

Had an American Rotary unit, ultimately pulled it out and installed a Phase Perfect 20HP model.

Every manufacturer of my equipment asked me before they sold me their equipment what type of 3ph unit I had and just about everyone of them recommended Phase Perfect.

Voltages are incredibly stable for all of the electronics in the equipment.

All the electronics in machines are generally run off a control transformer. As long as you keep track of the generated leg, keep it off any control circuit's, or off the control transformers, there shouldn't be an issue. Ran a few weinigs with accuset heads off phase converters.
    Ran a couple other new machines with digital crap off the same thing.