Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phase Converter

Check over at "Practical Machinest" web site. They have TONs of info, including shop builds for RPC's.

With only 100 amps total I think you need to upgrade your supply drop. 20hp single phase at 240 is about 86 amps. Add some lights in the shop, maybe heat or ac and you are over100 amps in the shop alone. i believe you only have 100 amps for the house and the shop?
    How is you voltage are you in town with stable volts or in the country where it can sag down.
    Bill

Bruce I will put Practical Machinist on my reading list for tomorrow. Thanks.
    Bill you are correct on the service.. 100 Amps total. The "shop" is the garage and the driveway. I'm expecting to have to upgrade if 3 phase is available at the house. For now, if I have to, I can limp along with a converter of some type to power the biggest draw, (table saw), and use the single phase dc.
    I still need to go through this discussion as I expect to be in a new shop within a year.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

I highly doubt that three phase is even available in your area. If it is you are looking at well over 10,000 to install the service drop. then monthly demand charges. But you should ask anyway.
    Also be prepared to ask cost to install 200 or 400 amp single phase service drop.
    Bill

I run my garage shop with 100 amps ( although a full 100 ) so it is doable with a 10 hp rpc or 10 hp PP. The PP does save a few amps. Not ideal but I can run my 12 hp sander and 7.5 hp dust collector.l I did find that a smaller air compressor was handy to run the WB and pneumatic blast gates so the big 5 hp did not kick in at a bad time.

You can also get luck on CL or ebay as used converters are common. There is a new in the box Arco on the web now. Dave

It pays to ask the right questions.

I built and designed my own 10 HP RPC. The phases are perfectly balanced.....but only for a 5 hp motor. Voltage is low when running bigger loads, and high when running a small motor such as a 1 hp grinder. Still within limits. If I had balanced phases for a 10 HP motor voltage might have been too hot for a small motor.

My converter will easily start a 15 HP motor.....but won't come close to starting that same motor when installed in an air compressor.

How many amps does the converter pull at start up? The neighbors might get upset if lights dim. The power company can disconnect service if it interferes with others.
    Larry

How many amps would a 15hp RPC need to power? I can't find the answer to that question. If I have a 90amp panel, what's the largest RPC I should install? I'm guessing something in the 40-50amp range would be good.

I have 5hp 3 phase planer and will likely add a larger 7.5 at some point.

Reach out to American rotary. If you were going to run a single device then I'd say go VFD, but since you will have multipe, call them, they are great to work with. Mine came with a baldor motor. I bought a 10hp that would run a 7.5. First call them tell them what you have and go from there. American made and they stand behind it. I think I just got a flyer from them, and they are having some sales. I was a novice and they worked with me and got me what I needed and it was not the most expensive option. Good luck

I've run a 30hp Phasa-a-matic for about 10 years without any problems. Other than an occasional shot of grease, it's been maintenance free.

Phase-a-matics used to be popular with machine shops (don't know if they still own this market or not). They have a quality enough output for the CNC electronics.

Mine is installed with a disconnect switch in front of it. It's output feeds a 240VAC 3 phase panel so all of my equipment is on the appropriately sized circuit breakers.

I use the Rotary for other voltages beyound house hold and VFD for anything up to 15HP I offer VDF up to 15 HP out on single phase for $1000 . these are single phase input drives . I built mine but you can buy some good kits .

here is mine

jack
    English machines