Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey you old dogs (off topic)

Blog Entries

Hey you old dogs (off topic)

I don't know why I'm posting this

I just returned from my morning 1.2 mile walk. About 15 years ago, I took a midnight ride to the emergency room, gasping
    with a heart attack. A cardiologist happened to be at the EM that night and saved my life. I went to see him yesterday, after
    remembering the circumstance in which we met, he read the EKG that his staff had taken yesterday and said to come back in 6 months
    for follow up.

Soon after the heart attack, I read a book on fitness walking and began walking daily. It's 45 minutes I enjoy, relaxing, recollecting yesterday, and planning
    the week. I cover about 1.25 miles daily, about nine miles a week. I've lost 15 pounds since those days, no shortness of breath,
    blood pressure is normal.

If your not in a fitness program, I encourage you to start one.

OBTW, my wife is still my wife, not my widow. Just thought I would mention it.

Congratulation Lowell,

You have logged 15 years and I have three behind me.
    Keep on exercising my friend.

Hi Lowell,

Glad to hear that you're taking care of your ticker. Funny, but all...or at least most...of the folks on this site understand the concept of maintaining your tools and machines in order to keep them running well for years. Yet not everyone is as diligent at maintaining the #1 machine--ourselves. If only we came with a capacitive starter, Carter bearings, and were self sharpening.

I've watched several members of my family (father, grandfather, grandmother) succumb to major heart failure that could have been prevented or at least postponed for many years with a better diet, no smoking, and some form of regular exercise. I've always been active, but not that you're likely to find me competing on the next Ninja Warriors for seniors show. After growing a spare tire over something like a 10-year period, I've jumped back into cycling and after a couple of years am up to riding regularly to and from work, 10-miles each way at least three times a week. After 8 weeks I'm finally starting to see the scale numbers tumble backwards and hope to be at my target weight within the next year. Serious weight loss after 50 is a beyotch, but any change for the better is a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 08-03-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mike,
    You fellas in the Pacific Northwest do seem to be a bit extreme. Twenty miles on a bicycle is extreme.

I see cyclists in a line on a freeway fro, time to time. I know there is an annual ride from Houston to Austin Texas. They seem to be skinny people and I'm sure the cycling is the reason.

I got confused by your subject...

But anyhow, I took my 16 year old dog for her 1.5 mile walk this morning. Now that's
    an old dog.

This evening I get to take my 5 month old dog for a 1.5 mile walk; my wife took her for her morning walk.

In January of 2017, my wife and I joined a local health club after talking with my personal physician. When I suggested joining a gym, my doctor suggested diet. I decided both were in order. BTW, we found out our Plan F Medicare supplemental insurance pays for the gym visits excluding an annual membership fee of $50. We just returned from 3 weeks on the road vacation with no gym time. I am down 30 lbs. from the last week of January. I have Meniere's disease and suffer serious balance issues so the weight machines are my safest options. I found if I go when there are fewer members present I can make a 1.5 hour workout both strength training and a cardiovascular workout! I am feeling much better.

I caught a head cold while on the trip from a great-granddaughter so I have kept away from the gym since our Tuesday evening return hoe to keep from spreading my cold. I hope to return to the gym tomorw.

Monday, I have my last visit with my personal physician as he's retiring. I can't wait to see his response to my new habits!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-03-2017 at 7:21 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm knocking on 50 but I suspect that sounds young to you guys!

I used to commute to work 24 miles round trip. Man, I leaned up...could see my abs 'n stuff.

Then we got a dog and he needed walking in the morning and no one else would get up to do it so I stopped biking.

My abs are still there...just covered a bit but I still run and hit the gym. But, wow, the biking really melts things off. I'll get back to it one of these days.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I hated sports and exercise as a kid but until college stayed thin. Once I hit college my eating habits got worse and I put on the "freshman 15" and never stopped slowly gaining. I finally decided about 2-1/2 years ago I needed to get serious before I reached that point. I changed my diet, tracking what I ate and eating more fresh foods and a lot less packaged food. I started walking on a treadmill. Over time I couldn't keep my heart rate up by walking so I started doing run intervals. Then I had to start running the whole time. One day I went outside and ran and never went back. I'm down about 80lb, ran over 1000 miles last year, and have run almost 1200 miles this year. already. 2 weeks ago I added a swim day for cross training. In mid-October I'm running my first marathon.

I found out I actually enjoy running and especially with a great group of "running friends" I met about a year ago. We now do a weekly Wednesday night run, nothing too terribly hard, and then go out to dinner together. Sometimes, for example on a nasty winter morning at 6AM or Monday when my schedule meant I had to do my 10 mile run at lunch time, in the sun, at 80-something, I question what the heck I'm doing but I feel really good about myself after I'm done and that's a great way to start my day.

Running a marathon is no small feat, Matt! Congrats on taking on the challenge and for improving your health!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Great to hear that you are doing well. My advice to any single man is this: Marry a nurse. She will keep you healthy. Guess how I know!!!

Aside from that, I walk every day- I walk my daughter to and from school each day. At least half of that time is spent giving piggy-back rides. I live on a hill that is so steep they actually sell t-shirts saying "I survived Synagogue Hill." (The hill has the Synagogue on it, and hence the nickname) I also walk to town when I need something, and if we go out to eat we usually walk- and that may mean walking 2 or more miles each way, depending on where we go. On Sunday we walk to and from church.

When I visit my family, they will drive to the store, then drive around for five minutes looking for a parking spot close to the store, and then after they shop at that store, they will drive to the next store, which is literally in the SAME shopping center!!! ... then they go to some restaurant and eat three servings of food each.

When I go to the doctor for a physical, he always comments when taking my resting and active heart rate- "Do you work out?" I always reply, "No, I have a daughter."

Blog Entries
    +1 on this. My medical providor pays the local YMCA for Senior Citizens' (Silver & Fit) membership. When my wife turns 65 later this month we are both going to sign up.

Folks may want to check with their local YMCAs to see if there are programs for which they may qualify.

Currently I am in a Cardio Rehab program through a local hospital. I also try to get some exercise at home. The other day my grandson asked me if all the activity wore me out. I told him, "I do my exercise to control my extra size." He chuckled.

Since doing the Cardio Rehab after bypass surgery I am feeling better than before my surgery.

It builds stamina.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

While on the subject of fitness...

I cannot say enough good things about Silver Sneakers. I recommend them to those 65 and older that are on Medicare - either a supplement or advantage program that is a member of Silver Sneakers.

I joined them last year & since that time, I have been hitting the swimming pool every morning for an hour.....all at no cost to me!
    Silver Sneakers pays for the membership.

I belong to two fitness clubs/pools and can alternate the days and times I go to fit my schedule.

Either Silver Sneakers or Silver and Fit are a God send to seniors.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Keep on truckin', Lowell! Glad it's working out.

I hear a podcast this morning about Vanguard funds founder John Bogle. He had a heart attack at 30, and a heart TRANSPLANT at 65. He is 88 years old this year.

I'm gradually transitioning from sweaty, poundy exercise to meditative and stretchy exercise. Better for the joints, muscles, heart, and mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I'm gradually transitioning from sweaty, poundy exercise to meditative and stretchy exercise. Better for the joints, muscles, heart, and mind.
    That made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

OBTW, my wife is still my wife, not my widow.
    Good for you! So many people know that with the head but just never get started, then the wife suddenly transitions to widow. Maybe your post will inspire!

For many years I was superglued to my computer chair and it started to show. Then 14 years ago I bought a farm and quickly lost 30 lbs.
    Doctor: "You lost weight!"
    Me: "You told me to."
    Doctor: "I tell everyone to but you're the first person who did." Ha!

These days I get plenty of exercise carrying 50lb bags of feed, bales of hay, clearing brush, chain sawing, hauling logs, shoveling manure, feeding, grooming, planting and tilling and watering, walking horses, herding llamas and peacocks, ... It's a 1/2 mile round trip walk to the mailbox or the beehives. This week I'm fencing the horse pasture, pounding 100+ steel posts in the ground. I haven't watched an hour of TV in over 10 years. A few years ago (pre FitBit) I got a pedometer, thinking I probably walked 2 miles a day. The first day I walked 6 miles! Feel great, feet quit hurting, back pain gone, can still race a teenager up the hill from the barn. Energy continues to ebb with age of course and I may still keel over from a heart issue some day, but a bit of exercise really helps for now. I have friends 10-20 years younger who have a terrible time just getting around.

Just get up and get going!

JKJ