Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks James! Haha it is exactly like fuelers, hours and hours of work for a four second pass
    I think you should grow a mullet and show up on the day with a trucker hat and a flight-suit-ish getup festooned with sponsor logos (for tool vendors of course) and at least 15 pieces of miscellaneous flair.

Micron, right? A mil is a miserable, fat thing to be relentlessly shamed when compared to the svelte little micron.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    Micron, right? A mil is a miserable, fat thing to be relentlessly shamed when compared to the svelte little micron.
    I interpreted what I first read as microns also, automatically thinking he didn't really mean 4 mils since that's like falling off a log for Brian. One mil (thousandths of an inch)= 25 microns.
    Ed: Then again, some folks refer to millionth of an inch as mils and if that's the case his 4 millionths of an inch shavings should win the contest hands down.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 08-04-2017 at 1:54 PM.

What angle is the blade bedded at? Very nice work and writeup, I'll go through it more thoroughly at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I interpreted what I first read as microns also, automatically thinking he didn't really mean 4 mils since that's like falling off a log for Brian. One mil (thousandths of an inch)= 25 microns.
    Ed: Then again, some folks refer to millionth of an inch as mils and if that's the case his 4 millionths of an inch shavings should win the contest hands down.
    Whoops, my mistake. I said "12 mils" by accident and then Brian repeated it.

A 0.3 mm shaving might be aesthetically consistent with the previously suggested "NASCAR-goes-planing" approach, though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents, 4 micron.

Allen, I bedded the plane at 38 degrees. Thank you!

Patrick, that getup might be the ticket
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    What do you guys think about the new Lie Nielsen 5 1/2? I would order one, but I already have an old 5 1/2 Bailey.
    I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    What do you guys think about the new Lie Nielsen 5 1/2? I would order one, but I already have an old 5 1/2 Bailey.
    I really like it.
    Err, what's new? L-N have offered their iron-body 5-1/2 for as long as I can remember. It has the same pros and cons as all of their planes (though note that like most of their iron-bodied planes it isn't particularly heavy).