Thread: Looking for comments.

Looking for comments.

mailboxPost.jpgLargeVaseMixedWoods.jpgThe finished vase is about 16" high and 7" at max. Contains walnut, maple, cherry, sassafras, and some fiss (found in shop scraps) wood. Rings start with 15 as first ring on bottom and each successive rings adds one piece. Ie 15,16,17 etc to 44 in the next to the top. The top ring is made with 8 and 16 segments add (720 degrees) and then the 24 segment ring has the reverse wedge to end with total of 360.

The taller one is not finished and is about 41" tall and around 13" at max. This was to be a mailbox post redwood and cedar cut as segmented rings with 16 wedges to a ring. About 900 pieces.
    HOWEVER, it has been suggested that they would be better used as lamps.
    Looking for your input on use.

Thanks
    Bob

I can't even fathom the physics involved in making something this size - 41" ??????

The only comment I can make is that after that much work I would not use this outdoors for a mailbox. For my outdoor furniture I use 7 coats of epiphanes, and still need to refinish every 1 to 3 years.

Magnificent work. Whenever you can take a brighter picture of the big one, or further along in the finishing, I would love to see it.

One more thought, they are such works of arts in themselves, I would hesitate making them a part of something as ordinary as a lamp, unless you could complement what you have already done with equally artistic fixtures.

Is the inside finished smooth, and if so, is it hollowed in stages?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    mailboxPost.jpgLargeVaseMixedWoods.jpgThe finished vase is about 16" high and 7" at max. Contains walnut, maple, cherry, sassafras, and some fiss (found in shop scraps) wood. Rings start with 15 as first ring on bottom and each successive rings adds one piece. Ie 15,16,17 etc to 44 in the next to the top. The top ring is made with 8 and 16 segments add (720 degrees) and then the 24 segment ring has the reverse wedge to end with total of 360.

The taller one is not finished and is about 41" tall and around 13" at max. This was to be a mailbox post redwood and cedar cut as segmented rings with 16 wedges to a ring. About 900 pieces.
    HOWEVER, it has been suggested that they would be better used as lamps.
    Looking for your input on use.

Thanks
    Bob
    I like the "fiss" wood ID - I'm gonna use that!

I don't think I'd make a lamp but someone may love one. The tall one would look good as a decorative piece, my wife would put peacock feathers in it. (We get a lot of peacock feathers!)

I like the shape and proportions of the finished one but I'm not sure about the pattern. (since you asked for comments!) I like the randomness of most of it but transitioning to the repeating pattern around the rim is a bit jarring for me, at least in the photograph.

All that looks like a LOT of work. I too am trying to imagine making one that tall, let alone turning it!

JKJ

Agree with John. Can't help admiring the piece. I think what keeps it from being a favorite is it reminds me of some things that were in Mid Century Modern style ,which has its admirers and collectors, but is not currently in vogue. As humans we can't help drawing those associations and prejudices even when they are factually unfounded. It is possible that something as simple as a tag describing it as "inspired by pre - Columbian Native American pieces" could over power incorrect assumptions.

Way nice, I agree with the others , stuff some nice dried native plants in it and give to spouse , gf . or for sale !
    John 3:16

I think the wife has decided to make the tall vase a yard decor with a round ball on top. Mailbox post is ruled out. Smaller vase is still to be determined.
    John,
    you got me on that rim. It was to have only one ring design, second from the top, but had a mistake, I should have turned it off. Attached picture makes it even worse under close inspection. I may still turn it off.
    Ever since I saw the reverse design for top rings I have been playing with different combinations on the top of bowls and vases. The number of pieces in the design ring will vary based on my mood at the time. I have done some with 96 pieces -- lot of glue up.
    I started making vases using one more wedgie in each ring and working on trying different size wedges, but when I made one with fiss wood, everyone liked it more than a design so now they are somewhat random.

Brian,
    I was planning on using a Flood product over the redwood. The can says 2 years on a deck, and 6 yrs on siding. I have used that finish on a redwood table says covered and it seems to hold up. I will post a picture when the Ball is installed.

Mel,
    Thanks for comments, did not plan to copy Century Modern style. I use an excel spread sheet to get ring sizes and make adjustments as needed. This was an experiment to prove to myself that I could do the 1 plus rings with just three sizes wedges 8, 16, and 24.

Paul,
    The wife does the flower stuffing. I don't sell them, either give them to friends or ask them to make donation to charity. I also donate them to charity and they have sold very well.

Thanks everyone for feed back.

BobvaseRim.jpgMoreVaseRIm.jpg

I think the big vase is too nice for outdoor use. Would make a lovely umbrella and walking stick vase, just put some filler in bottom to bring display to a good height.

I wouldnt use those as lamps. They're beautiful as-is. Maybe put some dry flowers, etc in them and stand them in the corner of a room. They're both very nice!
    Fred

Brian,
    Missed your question on inside finish. The insides is turned as I progress after letting about 4-6 rings cure overnight. I then sand to about 120 grit. The fiss wood is not always the same OD to ID thickness and sometime I have to leave divot in the wall at a thin section. I usually wait about 1/2 hour before smoothing the ring to attach next ring. Depending on the quality of the roundness of the ring, I will sometimes also tapper the edge to align the next ring.
    The redwood vase was designed to be a mailbox post and was not finished inside. The walls are about 1 1/2 finished. It was turned in two sections, top and bottom to meet in the middle. The wife nixed the idea of mailbox post and that is why I asked the question.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    ...rim. ... I may still turn it off.
    Have you considered a solid rim from one piece of wood? Sometimes they can look elegant, especially with a base turned from another piece.

Tall form in the yard, clear globe on top, wired for power - could make a beautiful lighted accent for day and night.

JKJ