Thread: 2 collection bins on a cyclone

2 collection bins on a cyclone

I have 2 grizzly 2 hp cyclones. They both currently have 35 gallon drums that were supplied with them. I am tired of constantly emptying the bin midproject woth milling stock on the jointer and planer. 16" jointer and 20" planer makes short work of 35 gallons. Yesterday I picked up 4 near new 55 gallon fiber bins and lids. I would like to make a Y like on the bigger machines. Thoughts for parts? Hoping to keep it cheap. Thanks!

What dia is the hose to the 35 gal now. My dual 55 gal each have a 9" hose. My other cyclone has a single 8" to one 55. My point is you cant really split a small dia cyclone exit into two smaller hoses if those hoses risk being clogged.

Build a plywood box and blow the chips outside into the box. You can go for weeks, months or even years in my case before I have to empty my 3000 gallon tank

Light gauge and inexpensive: https://www.kencraftcompany.com/prod...ue-y-branches/

Heavier gauge, more $: https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?catid={E886B17D-455B-45D2-85DD-D32CB161AEE1}

9" is the bottom opening.

A word of caution about the "gravity flow" of the chips falling out the bottom of cyclone. A Y will cause some material to want to lay on the bottom of the line, and if gates are used, then material will accumulate on the gate and could plug when opened. There will also need to be quite a bit of height below the cyclone for all the duct, fittings, and containers. A 55 gal drum will probably give you almost double the dust/chip capacity over a 35 gal since the free height at top should be same for each. I really hate it when I overfill my drum and send chips/dust to the after filter. DAMHIK or how many times. I had to do several dust handling projects during work career and it was always amazing how much height was needed to handle the final dust after collection.

I like the idea of using on large box off the one 9" opening.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Anyone built something like this?

Just did the math:
    55 gallon barrel is 7.35 cubic feet
    4*4*4 foot cube to collect is 64 cubic feet.

I would use my tractor with forks to empty it. Just trying to think about the design?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Roberts View Post
    Anyone built something like this?

Just did the math:
    55 gallon barrel is 7.35 cubic feet
    4*4*4 foot cube to collect is 64 cubic feet.

I would use my tractor with forks to empty it. Just trying to think about the design?
    The box needs to withstand the max vacuum of the dust collector and also the angle of repose of the dust will not allow filling the box full. That is why most are cylinders to better withstand the vacuum and taller than diameter.