Thread: Finally putting a plan into motion.

Finally putting a plan into motion.

I'm a flooring guy by trade. I install and refinish wood floors. But I love woodturning. It's all I ever wanna do and all I ever talk about. Years ago I realized I have just as much fun teaching people about woodturning as I do actually doing it. Now I live in a small coal town in PA, there are no opportunities here, no clubs, no co-ops, nothing at all to bring woodturning to people and teach them what I have learned. I wanna do all this on week nights and 100% free.

So far, I most likely have a building (former church). I also have 2 very good tree trimming business's that give me all the wood I want. I have alot of tools, probably over 100 easily, chucks, faceplates, trent boschs stabilizer, and monster But what I do not have is alot of lathes. I have a new 3520b and an older delta. What I wanna have is 6 lathes, all with variable speed like my powermatic.

What I'm getting at is, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a few more lathes, maybe a mini, midi, and a few larger ones. Without the obvious of spending 20k. I know about craigslist and eBay. But I'm trying to keep a budget as well.

I realize this is Alot to take in. I'm very excited about this endeavor and look forward to anything I might be missing. Thanks guys. Sam

Nothing like dreaming big Sam :-)

Seriously though...as you have a new Powermatic and want some secondary lathes, I'd recommend the Craig's List route. My Father was a car sales man for nearly 40-years and he always cautioned me when looking at cars to be patient. Eventually one will show up in the price range you're looking for.

I thought I would have gotten some really good positive replies. Come on guys, I'm looking to do something good for humanity, not steal lathes from someone. I will just keep my eyes open on the usual places and hope for the best. I'm thinking for beginners I'm best off getting some small jet and delta midi lathes.
    Does anyone have any advice or suggestions, things I should know, be concerned about, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    ... What I'm getting at is, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a few more lathes, maybe a mini, midi, and a few larger ones. ...
    I don't know if you are set on the PM lathes but if so you might consider used Jet 1642s for the larger lathes. I have a PM3520b, two Jet 1642s, and a couple of Jet mini lathes. I bought one 1642 new about 15 years ago and the other used from a club member. The PM was used as was one of the mini lathes.

I usually keep the PM and one 1642 in the shop for personal use or when I have one or two students:
    WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg
    It is really nice to have lathes with the same spindle thread for interchanging chucks and things.

I have on occasion moved all the lathes in a once (kind of tight!) when I was expecting more students at once. I should say I don't give regular lessons but I love to teach beginners - we always start with spindle turning and the very first tool in their hands is a skew chisel and only then work on face work/bowls. These two girls made their first bowls:
    Girls_IMG_20150804_203606_bowls.jpg

The 1642 is every bit as capable as the PM except for scale - I've done 15" bowls from heavy blanks. The bed length is fantastic. But even the Jet minis are capable lathes. The lathe classes at the local Woodcraft are taught with a classroom full of mini lathes. They are perfect for beginners and even advancing turners. The manual speed change on many is not ideal but again, the capability is limited primarily to scale. You can teach almost every aspect of woodturning with the 10" swing.

The minis are great for transporting too which might help you drum up some business. Here I am turning magic wands for kids. Who knows, maybe some of them got interested in woodturning for life that day.
    wandmaking_comp1.jpg

As for finding such lathes, I sometimes see lathes for sale from members of a couple of local clubs. If I were looking now, I might contact all the clubs within the distance I was willing to drive and ask to be informed when one comes up for sale. Acceptable driving distance might be fairly far - I drove 10 hrs one way pulling a trailer to bring back the 3520b!

Also, I believe in the past that schools such as John C Campbell had all their lathes (PMs) for sale when replacing them. I don't know how often this happens or anything about the asking price. Might be worth an inquiry to all of the schools in the country - there are at least three in this area.

JKJ

I go to auctions and get tools. I take them to Texas when I go for the winter and donate them over the border for kids in school to learn a trade. I have found some really great deals at auctions and walk away when they are beyond what I'm willing to pay.

Awesome info. That's what I'm looking for. Im looking for this to be a completely free endeavor though.

JMO and being a devil's advocate...
    I would start with what you have and gauge the response.
    Maybe one day a demo and then the other 5-6 working with just one or two each day. Repeat the next week. As participation grew you could then acquire additional equipment. As some become more proficient then you may be able to add more newbies and not try to watch what everyone is doing at the same time.
    To have six newbies on machines at the same time would scare me but I have never taught so.. a box of salt for my thoughts.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    Awesome info. That's what I'm looking for. Im looking for this to be a completely free endeavor though.
    You can find a lot of free and almost free turning tools if you look around. Ask at clubs, on forums. I bought a box of tools for the shipping fee from a generous gentleman on this forum, I think. I have been given lots of tools when people upgrade their first cheap tools. I bought a number of old but useful tools at $3-$5 each.

I use these to give to people who are getting started with turning after a lesson or two, stock some volunteer programs, and send to people who can make good use of them. Or just grind special-use tools. Or salvage the handles.

Yikes, this reminds me, I still haven't sent some I promised a month ago. Where does the time go.

If you get a program started that benefits youth and/or other who really need it, you can often get donations of equipment. Our club outfitted a turning program at a youth camp with mini lathes, bandsaw, sharpening station, and turning tools all donated by club members and others who heard about it. A local business gives a good discount for things purchased new. We also applied for and got a grant from the AAW to assist. Benefactors in your area may also want to help. If you start small and get a well needed program going you may more easily find the free resources to expand. Be sure to document everything, lots of photos, etc. - that goes a long way to capturing imaginations and encouraging donations.

JKJ

Check the auctions on govdeals.com. There are old school lathes that pop up every week. You just have to be ready to bid, and go pickup. I have seen PM3520A's go for $500 or less, but too far away for me.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.