Thread: How would you make footstool treads grippier?

How would you make footstool treads grippier?

Folks -

I am making a small 2 step stepstool to help my dog get up and down from the bed less traumatically. He mostly does ok with jumping but it seems to be getting a bit difficult for him at times (he'll hesitate and just look up at the bed) , and the force on his legs sometimes when he jumps down makes me wince. It seems to be when he's tired, and he jumps down differently than when he's energetic, and sort of lands heavily on his front legs.

Anyhow, I was looking for thoughts on how to make the treads of the steps non-slippy. Since it will be sitting in our bedroom, it can't be ugly, which leaves out tacking scraps of carpet to the treads. Similarly, I'm not wild about using the roll of high friction tape I got from Lee Valley, but that's a possibility. I haven't used the stuff yet on anything, and I am worried about it's longevity and adhesiveness. And it's not too great looking.

I was also wondering about making some grooves in the treads - maybe a couple of stopped V grooves. Easy and permanent and ok looking, but I'm not sure if that'll give enough grippiness.

I'd appreciate other thoughts, ideas, experiences, pictures of the ones you made, etc.

Many thanks -

Ken

This more or less what I used on steps for our dog to get up on the bed when LOML had surgery and could not pick him up. That was about eight years ago. I used them around the house more than he ever did and the wood shows more wear than the tape. No pics because my MIL has them now for her aging Pit Bull.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-x-15-ft-Safety-Walk-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7635NA/100132176
    Last edited by Charles Wiggins; 08-04-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

You could just add some sand to your finish - paint or urethane or the like. Limit the sand to the step surfaces, of course.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Cork. Either flooring or gasket material from an automotive store. If the flooring is prefinished and slippery, sand it off.

Ken, in my years of experience with this situation carpeting is your best option. I see your comment about tacking scraps being ugly and if you mean that literally I'd agree. But if you used a color of carpeting that fir your bedroom decor and wrapped each step and tacked it on the bottom side that would provide the best traction plus some cushioning for your pet. Over the years I've found that a short nap carpeting is best and I buy indoor/outdoor carpeting (not the old plasticy type) that can be found in home centers and it is fairly inexpensive.

I don't know the height of your bed or the size of your dog but I just have a carpet covered "platform" for my German Shepherd that is half the height to the top of the bed. If your dog can now sometimes jump up then a single height platform might be the answer and it is easier to make.

I am thinking something like a ladder with round rungs. But the rungs can be pulled out and covered with radiator hose or some other big diameter rubber hose. replace as needed.
    Carpet is probably better and flat steps better still. Look at old brass carpet runner hardware for attaching ideas.
    I would make each step then a separate cover board. The cover board can be wrapped like a seat cushion then screwed or bolted from the bottom. easy to remove and rewrap when needed.
    Bill

There is a finish additive called Gator Grip you can buy very cheaply on amazon and other places. It's a clear grip additive for concrete pool decks. You can use it with any finish/paint. I used it on my concrete shop floor and it makes a world of difference. You can't really see it, but you sure can feel it.

V- grooving will do the job. Multiple stopped grooves about 5mm wide. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Ken, in my years of experience with this situation carpeting is your best option...
    I agree. For animals with claws I found carpet to be a good choice, doesn't have to be thick. A continuous piece of carpet to fit the steps/platform/ramp could look good. You can get the carpet cut to exact size and then edged.

We use Flor in a few places in the house and they look good, even where cut and not edged. https://www.flor.com/ The carpet is held down with their adhesive disks. High quality stuff.

JKJ

Dogs like ramps with carpet

A neighbor lady had a similar predicament—her little Affenpinscher could no longer hop in bed with her so I made a carpeted ramp that ran parallel to her bed along a wall. The small platform at the top was built to hold water and food bowls and provide level access to the bed. I received a nice Thank You card from the little dog commenting on what a fine ramp I’d built.

I would use a low pile carpet like a commercial office grade.

I also suggest carpeting. You can make it look acceptable and the dog will use it without slipping. When my lab was no longer able to leap into my SUV she loved the carpeted stairs. As an additional comment, a friend had a ramp for her dogs to get into her SUV and my dog hated it and refused to use it.

I vote for carpeting too...you can match it to any decor. Dogs feel very comfortable with it. notches/grooves on a slippery surface do not provide help for slippery pads on dog's feet. steps are ok, but ramps are even better. Jumping can be hard on dogs with disc issues, or arthritis in their hips or shoulders.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks very much folks. The gator grip stuff sounds promising, and I'll see what I can do with some carpet first.
    Maybe I'll make the treads removable so I can try something different if the carpet doesn't work out aesthetically.
    I appreciate the help.

Ken