Thread: Refinishing a tool handle

Refinishing a tool handle

I have some old Craftsman and some newer turning tools and I take them with me to the Vet's garage to turn once a week. Unfortunately I lost a couple because they blend in with the few turning tools that they have. So I would like to refinish some, if not all, of my tool handles but I need some advice. I was able to do my 1/4" spindle gouge by attaching a chuck to the lathe, inserting the spindle gouge into the chuck (the small spindle gouge fit into the hole of the spindle/handle), then I clamped down on the ferrel and I was able to turn on the lathe and sand and refinish the handle with dye. It looks great.

But is there a way to do my larger tools that won't fit into the small hole of the headstock's spindle? I would love to custom dye all my tools so that when I'm turning at other venues such as the Vet's Garage I won't lose my tools. Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    ...But is there a way to do my larger tools that won't fit into the small hole of the headstock's spindle? I would love to custom dye all my tools so that when I'm turning at other venues such as the Vet's Garage I won't lose my tools. Thanks for any suggestions.

David
    I've seen people wrap colored tape around the handle or spray the end with colored paint. One guy where I worked sprayed bright orange paint on all of his tools, wrenches, screwdrivers, everything. Could also carve your initials in the end in case of any doubt. Not too pretty, but hey.

For turning down the handle, you could probably make a wooden collet to grip the metal part of the tool and hold it in the chuck then support the other end with the tailstock. The collet I'm thinking about for a round tool shaft is a flat donut that fits a chuck with a hole drilled in the middle the size of the tool shaft, then cut a saw slot so tightening the chuck grips the tool shaft. (This is an old method for holding small things for turning.) For a skew or scraper the same thing with a rectangular hole should work, perhaps cut with the bandsaw.

But I wonder if the old finish could be removed with a disk sander instead of turning. Some people make handles non-round on purpose to make them easier to grip. A flap sander on an electric drill, drill press, or held in the lathe might be easier.

Another option might be to pull the tool out of the handle first then glue it back in later. If held with epoxy a bit of heat near the ferrule will loosen it: hold the tool in a vise and twist the handle. Mike Hunter said he does that all the time and the one time I tried it it worked fine.

BTW, I remember when a guy asked another "Does that screwdriver have a name on it?" "No." "It must be mine, I never put my name on my tools!"

JKJ

I have two solutions. 1, knock the handle off the gouge and do as you mentioned in the original post, or 2, go to an electrical supply store or a big box store and get some red, orange or green electrical tape and put a couple of wraps on each tool. No. 2 is what I use, works great.

Seems the simplest method would be to use some citrus stripper, hand sand, dye and refinish. You don't need or want a really slick finish anyway.

Left click my name for homepage link.

You may also entertain using Plasti Dip. I have used it for years for screwdrivers, pliers, etc. Dries fairly soft and is pretty durable.
    Available in lots of colors, just dip about 4-5" of the handle. Takes about a day to cure.
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=31785606
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks guys, excellent suggestions. The smoke from all the fires west and north of us have made being outside unbearable (and unhealthy) for the last couple days but when I get out to the shop I'll give some of those suggestions a try. Because I'm experimenting with dyes I thought why not practice on my tool handles but then I also have colored electrical tape on hand. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

David, another option is to put your initials on the blade. I have one of those small hand-held vibrating engravers and have marked all my tools - just in case.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Grab a Dremel and a 1/8" diameter round burr. Then stipple and area where your hand hold is. It is a 2 fold solution, your mark them as yours and it makes for a comfortable grip. You could also probably dye the stippled area before apply your finish.

No Dremel, then try this method of stippling. http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...smithing_0107/ But I would buy a Dremel before I would do this method.

I first saw this idea when working in central London during the 1980,s A young female shop assistant put one drop of nail varnish on a key and another drop of the same colour was placed on the lock of the cabinet so she knew which key opened which cabinet
    I use the same principle for our house keys eg. All of the families front door key have a red nail varnish spot on them

I also used the idea at work I put green nail varnish spots on all the keys to external doors It was then possible to identify when you did a staff search if anyone had a key that they did not have permission to hold The same principle was used for till and safe keys

I use this idea to mark commonly used allen keys

and it could be applied to other to tools
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 08-06-2017 at 9:30 AM.

I had a chance yesterday, following some of your advice, to refinish a few of my tool handles. For the old Craftsman tools I put the blade into a vice and pulled the handle, it came of quite easily. For my no-name bowl gouge I had to heat up the bar stock with a torch. after sanding I used water based dyes, then shellac sanding sealer and then two thinned coats of poly. The handles still have a wood feel and good grip to them. I've only done these three but over time I'll get a few more done.

Nice job! I've never thought of refinishing old tool handles. I don't take tools too many places where they need to be distinctive but yours sure look unique! But what will you do when two other people show up with dyed handles after seeing yours?

Is that the old Craftsman diamond profile parting tool? If so, it's my favorite parting tool - a perfect size! I was using one in a demo once making bells for Christmas ornaments and mentioned how much I liked the tool and was keeping my eyes open for another one. The next meeting a guy brought gave me one!

BTW, for these little bells I turn the outside shape first, sand and finish. To hollow I push the parting tool into the end grain starting at the center, sighting straight down to get the angle right on the outer few cuts. Clean up the inside by scraping with the sharp side of a spindle gouge and/or a small Hunter tool.

bells_PC244161es.jpg bells_only_IMG_5176.jpg bells_cutaway_IMG_5169.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice job! I've never thought of refinishing old tool handles. I don't take tools too many places where they need to be distinctive but yours sure look unique! But what will you do when two other people show up with dyed handles after seeing yours?

Is that the old Craftsman diamond profile parting tool? If so, it's my favorite parting tool - a perfect size! I was using one in a demo once making bells for Christmas ornaments and mentioned how much I liked the tool and was keeping my eyes open for another one. The next meeting a guy brought gave me one!

BTW, for these little bells I turn the outside shape first, sand and finish. To hollow I push the parting tool into the end grain starting at the center, sighting straight down to get the angle right on the outer few cuts. Clean up the inside by scraping with the sharp side of a spindle gouge and/or a small Hunter tool.

JKJ
    John, nice looking bells. Yes, this is the Craftsman diamond parting tool. I have one other that came with a cheap kit and this really just out performs the other. Hold a sharp edge for a long time and is, as you said, a great size. I hadn't thought about doing as you described with the bells. If others start showing up with dyed handles then, well, I don't know. I'm going to go ahead and put my initials on the blade, I think the Vet's Garage has an engraving tool. I take my tools to the Vet's Garage two or three times a month, they don't have enough tools to go around and I prefer using mine anyway. Riverside Retirement Community has an amazing shop with about ten to twelve lathes and once a month they invite club members and vets so I've been there a couple times, amazing what one can learn with so many other turners in one room.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    John, nice looking bells. Yes, this is the Craftsman diamond parting tool. I have one other that came with a cheap kit and this really just out performs the other. Hold a sharp edge for a long time and is, as you said, a great size. I hadn't thought about doing as you described with the bells. If others start showing up with dyed handles then, well, I don't know. I'm going to go ahead and put my initials on the blade, I think the Vet's Garage has an engraving tool. I take my tools to the Vet's Garage two or three times a month, they don't have enough tools to go around and I prefer using mine anyway. Riverside Retirement Community has an amazing shop with about ten to twelve lathes and once a month they invite club members and vets so I've been there a couple times, amazing what one can learn with so many other turners in one room.
    You can engrave with a Dremel too, probably make more easily readable letters too, fill them in with black or something. Or maybe a good time to get a woodburner!

I have not forgotten about sending a box of spare tools - just haven't taken the time to pack up a box - I plead overbooking! Not quite done with the refencing, now I'm in the middle of preparing for a club demo on the 15th, so right after that, I promise! I think I have some that might be useful at the Vet's Garage. You may end up sharpening them for some people but I suspect you do that now!

Years ago when I bought my first lathe it was to turn one thing, for my son in architecture school. Not knowing any better, I went to Home Depot and bought what they had. Since they didn't sell tools, I went to Sears and found a set of the Craftsman tools. I still use some of the others today too! Quite good steel. Buying that lathe put me on the edge of the slippery slope - one misstep was all it took.

Anytime I go to someone's shop or someone comes here we both learn something.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You can engrave with a Dremel too, probably make more easily readable letters too, fill them in with black or something. Or maybe a good time to get a woodburner!

I have not forgotten about sending a box of spare tools - just haven't taken the time to pack up a box - I plead overbooking! Not quite done with the refencing, now I'm in the middle of preparing for a club demo on the 15th, so right after that, I promise! I think I have some that might be useful at the Vet's Garage. You may end up sharpening them for some people but I suspect you do that now!

Years ago when I bought my first lathe it was to turn one thing, for my son in architecture school. Not knowing any better, I went to Home Depot and bought what they had. Since they didn't sell tools, I went to Sears and found a set of the Craftsman tools. I still use some of the others today too! Quite good steel. Buying that lathe put me on the edge of the slippery slope - one misstep was all it took.

Anytime I go to someone's shop or someone comes here we both learn something.

JKJ
    That's a great idea with the Dremel, I have one and hadn't thought about using it to engrave with. I think I'll see if I can put my initials on the blade near the handle. I know you're overbooked John, you have to be one of the busiest guys I know, I don't know how you get so much done in a day unless you figured out how to get 30 hours into a day. With the vet's garage getting more and more turners I know they will appreciate additional turning tools but please don't feel that you have to or that there is a hurry. And if you want a tax deduction form let me know and I'll pick it up for you when I drop off the tools.

I just noticed that there is a craigslist ad here in Spokane for 27 old (and slightly rusty) lathe tools which includes a Craftsman diamond parting tool, just not sure its worth the $80 for the set of tools.