Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be careful out there

Wayne:

Thank you for your comment; I agree entirely with you. It is important to be respectful of others in everything we do or write.

Arrogance will cost more fingers than inexperience. Having spent 40+ years in the steel industry and having investigated hundreds of accidents, I can say that: 1) no one knew they were going to have an accident 1 second prior; 2) a higher percentage of accidents occur to very experienced workers, than green workers; 3) accidents occur when the mind wanders to the upcoming weekend event or personal problem, instead of the job, and 4) working late, in a hurry, or doing very repetitive tasks is the road to ruin.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-10-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Ditto Jerry. People who think that the person who hurt himself was not as smart, or as experienced as them, should think twice the next time they are upset because a family member died, or the wife left them, or their kids did something, and they are working away on their machines, and geez, something happened.

Nothing will keep you safe but discipline and adhering to protocol.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-10-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Conry View Post
    Surprisingly Alan, it may be the opposite. A couple of years ago there was a discussion on woodworking forums where a user posted some stats on average number of hours before an injury. The tablesaw stats suggest that it's those who have used them for a long time that are more likely to injure themselves. i won't hypothesize as to the reasons, it is however very sobering.
    You beat me to it. If you do the research it's thos "SAFE" "PRO's" that can take the eye off the ball so to speak. With the avg accident can cost a alot, in $$, time, earning potential, and even life changing events, all should consider Sawstop.

I hope he gets most of his dexterity back, but fact it most will be gone. Best of luck to him!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-10-2017 at 10:04 PM.

There are some smart guys who dismiss ,even sneer, at the importance of forming good habits. They don't understand that without that concept stupid things are done reflexively. In commercial shops it's easy to tell who will "lose weight" on the job. It's the guys who after hearing NEVER or ALWAYS do something interpret it to mean "unless you think it will save a few seconds"

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    years ago I had a bad accident with a cheap Sears saw that I had not adjusted properly anyway, but still don't think of myself as an idiot. I made a mistake, was lucky to find a really good plastic surgeon who was looking for a new challenge in his career. 6 months later I had a nearly fully functional hand back, even able to type on a computer keyboard, but my artistry on the piano suffered a bit more. I had nightmares every night for months reliving the event, waking up in a cold sweat, and it was over a year before I could even force myself to listen to the saw's motor run. But I have moved in those 30 years, still WWing, but with a finely tuned Euro-slider that I take no chances with. I learned from my mistake, and a great doctor minimized the damage to my functionality.

Ole, he is lucky to have you for a friend. Without knowing the guy or witnessing the trauma it's just too easy for us to see the mistake as a statistic about something we would not have done, but I'm sure the bad news will bring about some earnest thought about safety. We all wish him rapid healing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Ole, he is lucky to have you for a friend. Without knowing the guy or witnessing the trauma it's just too easy for us to see the mistake as a statistic about something we would not have done, but I'm sure the bad news will bring about some earnest thought about safety. We all wish him rapid healing.
    Thank you Mel, your comment is most appreciated. That was a typical positive Creeker response.
    NOW you tell me...

a moment of inattention is all it takes for any of us. I feel like I am very careful, but the thing that gets most people it when the saw moves the wood unexpectedly. That's why I'm putting the guard on my saw before the next time I use it. After years of not using a guard.

Another thing which always makes me think, and by thinking, perhaps will prevent a horrible accident some day. Not original, but can't remember where it came from.

EVERY time I make a cut I ask myself, "Where would my hand be if the wood suddenly disappeared?"

The wood could suddenly disappear, for example if pushing and a saw blade enters a hidden weak area or a hidden crack suddenly opens, splitting the wood. This makes me consider not only where my hands are and my choice of push stick or device for that cut, but also the amount of force I'm using and my stance and balance. Bandsaw, table saw, SCMS, hand-held circular saw, chain saw (where would my leg, foot, etc be), router table. I know a guy who lost a thumb when a circular saw kicked back while he was supporting the offcut behind the saw with his other hand, thumb over the kerf.

JKJ

when I started the old guy said never put your hand behind the blade. Its not just if the wood is not there, its you will get pulled back with it. Said he was told and didnt listen showed me one finger and three inches of it were flattened down. Not a big deal his fingers were bigger than daschunds and hes still produced a massive amount in his lifetime. Dont know if he had any other accidents question I should ask. i'Ve Had five or six different accidents over the years all a bit different and all taught me something. one of the most interesting was a used power feed on a used machine that didnt hold its settings. Never had one move up to that point, you cant know everything as everything hasnt happened yet, it has a block between it and the fence when used now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Thank you to those who realize we are all capable of having an accident in the shop, and it is usually doing something stupid that is not in line with how we usually work. To those of you who insulted my friend and therefore me, an apology is due. You may want to find a different WW forum where those type of comments are the norm. The Creek is not that place. I will apologize in advance if it appears I am taking this too personally.
    I see no reason whatsoever to insult anyone over a situation like your friends. It could easily happen to any of us, even those so willing to do the insulting. An old saying goes "if you can't say something nice, keep your dam mouth shut!" certainly applies in these kinds of situations.

Note : I actually thought of this thread this past weekend as I was doing some cross-cutting with my table saw sled. I realized just how close my thumb was to the backside of the fence as I hand clamped a piece as I was making multiple step and repeat cuts. Now I think I am going to make a new sled to enclose the blade on the backside of the fence. It will be a bit bigger and heavier but should resolve the safety issue. Thanks for starting this thread.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 08-07-2017 at 1:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    ...you cant know everything as everything hasnt happened yet,...
    THAT's a statement to live by! When I got my 1st tractor I read everything I could on ways to die with a tractor. There are many. When I started chainsawing I studied ways to be maimed and killed with a chainsaw and felling trees. There are more ways than with a tractor. When I took up cave diving, 4-wheeling, and flying airplanes I did the same.

If you can't imagine it happening, you certainly can't protect against it.

That's why I like discussions like this one. We can learn from our own experience or that of someone else. The second is can be less painful.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Another thing which always makes me think, and by thinking, perhaps will prevent a horrible accident some day. Not original, but can't remember where it came from.

EVERY time I make a cut I ask myself, "Where would my hand be if the wood suddenly disappeared?"

The wood could suddenly disappear, for example if pushing and a saw blade enters a hidden weak area or a hidden crack suddenly opens, splitting the wood. This makes me consider not only where my hands are and my choice of push stick or device for that cut, but also the amount of force I'm using and my stance and balance. Bandsaw, table saw, SCMS, hand-held circular saw, chain saw (where would my leg, foot, etc be), router table. I know a guy who lost a thumb when a circular saw kicked back while he was supporting the offcut behind the saw with his other hand, thumb over the kerf.

JKJ
    Good thoughts John. Thanks for sharing.