Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Be careful out there

Blog Entries

Be careful out there

Have a buddy, now retired, who is on our golf league. Not a WW, but has had a TS for 35 years. Holding a small piece of wood checking the bevel on the saw when it pulled his hand in. I cringed when he told my what he was doing. He knew he got bit, looks back and sees half of one of his fingers on the saw. Mmm, that's not good. Middle finger, unable to reattach, messed up the nerves and tendons at the base of his pinky. Finally back golfing 10 weeks later. Didn't seem to affect his game. Small pieces of wood, too much confidence and a table saw are not a good combination.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-05-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I cringe when I read stuff like this. You can spend your whole life doing something, and one day absent mindedly, it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I cringe when I read stuff like this. You can spend your whole life doing something, and one day absent mindedly, it happens.
    Yup. I keep thinking about a sawstop for just that reason.

I'm not one to claim that I'll never hurt myself on the saw because I was absent minded. It happens. But, man. Sticking a piece of wood next to a moving blade to check a bevel? I just don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    ...Sticking a piece of wood next to a moving blade to check a bevel? I just don't get that.
    Hard to believe that anyone would think to do this.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Frankly we are all more aware of the safety problems using a TS because we see them second hand (so to speak) on the Creek via posts like this and worse, those including graphic photos. A benefit the casual TS user does not have.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Have a buddy, now retired, who is on our golf league. Not a WW, but has had a TS for 35 years. Holding a small piece of wood checking the bevel on the saw when it pulled his hand in.
    Scratching my head: If not a woodworker (WW), what was he doing with checking the bevel? Was he cutting something other than wood?

Simon

Don't forget to keep non-woodworkers and kids safe too. When I was in fourth grade I sat next to a kid missing or three fingers on each hand. He had decided to play with his dad's table saw in the basement.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Frankly we are all more aware of the safety problems using a TS because we see them second hand (so to speak) on the Creek via posts like this and worse, those including graphic photos. A benefit the casual TS user does not have.
    Too true. I never hesitate to share a goof up. Narrow escape or trip to the E.R. Either way, if it sharpens one persons thinking while using tools, its worth reporting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Scratching my head: If not a woodworker (WW), what was he doing with checking the bevel? Was he cutting something other than wood?

Simon
    Owning a chainsaw does not make one an arborist. I believe he was working on his deck.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-05-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Owning a chainsaw does not make one an arborist. I believe he was working on his deck.
    Clarification noted. We just have different definitions of what a ww is.

Always feel badly for folks that get hurt but appreciate the reminders to the rest of us to think and think again before we do stupid things. Knock on wood.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing most table saw accidents these days are by average do it yourselfers that aren't avid woodworkers. Sure, woodworkers like us still have this type of accident because of the regularity we use dangerous tools, but most of us with experience have had sufficient kickbacks and close calls over the years and we frequent woodworking forums enough to make us more aware and realize what is a bad idea and how to greatly minimize the dangers. Stay safe everyone.

Ole, pass on my condolences to the guy in question.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-10-2017 at 9:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lilly View Post
    I may be wrong, but I'm guessing most table saw accidents these days are by average do it yourselfers that aren't avid woodworkers.
    Surprisingly Alan, it may be the opposite. A couple of years ago there was a discussion on woodworking forums where a user posted some stats on average number of hours before an injury. The table saw stats suggest that it's those who have used them for a long time that are more likely to injure themselves. i won't hypothesize as to the reasons, it is however very sobering.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-10-2017 at 10:00 PM.