Thread: Circular Saw turing left

Circular Saw turing left

Trying to crosscut a layed up table top. 24 inches wide. Three pieces of 1" oak. About half way through the cut saw starts turning left away from the straight guide. Thought it was a dull blade so bought a new one but same thing. What the heck is this? I'm guessing operator error but running a circular saw isn't that complicated....or is it?

Scott
    Chicago

IMG_0769.jpg

A circular saw guide is usually required for accurate cuts.

I have that clamp on straight edge by Emerson tool. You mean more than that I take it.

3" thick oak? I'd guess it would probably will take a very slow feed rate to cut. Better with a new blade, but still. All I got.
    David

No three pieces of 1" oak laid up.

It is likely that the blade is not parallel with the shoe of the saw. Most of them aren't and very few have any means for adjustment.

Well, that would certainly explain it!

John, You nailed it! And don't see any adjustment.
    IMG_0773.jpg

You could make a supplemental shoe out of plywood that's truly parallel with the blade. You'll lose some depth of cut, but it's fast and easy to do. You could possibly put it on top of the metal shoe and avoid losing any DOC. Other options are to persuade the metal shoe parallel or grind it so.

John

Actually, 'adjusted it with hammer loosened some screws, wedged it over and re-tightened. Made a very nice cut!
    Scott