Thread: doweling jig issues

doweling jig issues

I have a Bench dog 3/8 doweling jig I just picked up. (looks the same as rockler) Problem is there is a good bit of slop (.019 inch) in the jig holes. I tried 3 different drill bits all are same.
    then the dowels I picked up from Menards are bigger then the drill bit. I had to use pliers to get them out and some broke off trying to get them out.
    Did I get a bad jig and dowels or do I need a different drill bit then 3/8 for 3/8 dowels?

Did you caliper your drill bits to make sure they are 3/8"? I would doubt you got both a bad jig and oversize dowels. I am assuming that the dowels are not cut offs from a dowel rod. I have some dowel rods that are off stated size.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

drill bits 3/8 dowels are https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...699236&ipos=25 they are over 3/8

put the dowels in the microwave to shrink them

You dowels may very well be made in China to a metric standard. Maybe 10mm? The big box stores often do this with wood they pass off metric wood as being close to some standard English size. I would also not be surprised if the jig holes are worn. I doubt the bushings are hardened.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 08-06-2017 at 2:31 AM.

+1 to the microwave idea.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I take a pair of pliers and squeeze the dowels - leaving them with lines in them from the pliers jaws- which serves two purposes, it makes them fit & it gives grooves for glue to escape.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon