Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Tenon Saw

Blog Entries

Large Tenon Saw

I decided that I needed a large tenon saw. I ordered a kit from Ron Bontz for a 16X4 saw plate plate, back, and saw nuts. A nice saw with a curly maple handle is the result. Here is the saw.
    I did this maybe two years ago. I can cut long and straight tenons with this saw, and I do. I am partial to curly maple handles.

Tennonsaw1 (Large).jpg
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-05-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Nice job Lowell.
    I have to ask was the handle done entirely by hand?

Blog Entries
    Michael, it was shaped on a band saw and rounded with a router . The remainder was by hand.
    I am not a purist hand tool woodworker. I use the tools that suit the job.
    The holes were with brace and bit and the fine shaping with rasp, shaves, and gouges.

I made a tenon saw because I need a tenon saw.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-05-2017 at 10:32 PM.

I like the elegance of the handle, especially near the bottom. Is that your design, or borrowed in some way?

Blog Entries
    I have AutoCad. I drew the handle using it and printed the handle. I then glued the print to a blank of wood.
    I shaped the outside of the handle on the bandsaw. I drilled two holes for the finger opening. I joined the
    curve of the finger opening with a coping saw. I uses gouges and chisels to carve the lambs tongue and
    other notches.

I used a brace and bit to make the holes. It was a power tool and hand tool operation. Some wood workers
    say the Band saw is a hand tool. I don't agree with that, but in my mind, it is a hand tool's cousin.

I don't apologize for using both. It does require substantial hand skills to make the handle. I could do
    it all by hand, but I'm too lazy. I really do not like to use a coping saw if I can avoid it.

Lowell,
    Please do not think my question was at all meant to be durogitory or insinuate something. I am generally curious, I have thought about making a handle but don't have a band or scroll saw and was curious how people do it.

Beautiful wood and distinctive design there.

Makes no difference to me what tools you used to make it...i just think it looks really nice.

Nice Looping saw! I hope I can make one as well one day. There is two day course on making backsaw in my area for about $250 including materials, which are about $30.

That looks like a winner Lowell. Does the back come attached to the plate or do you have to do that?
    David

://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/my%20backsaw%20builds/_DSC0069_zpsaerdaaim.jpg.html][/URL]

I do have an 18" long one..hanging up in the overhead til.....gathering dust.....I do not do Tenons big enough to warrent using that big of a saw. However, I do have a GEM folding mitre box that it works just fine in..

Stewart,

Interesting that you put your saws nuts on the opposite side of the handle than is customary. Was there a reason?

Nice saw Lowell! Love the curly maple. I'm going to build one of Ron's kits someday. What will you be building with this new saw - got another great grandchild coming that needs a rocker? Or something else?

Stewie, beautiful work as always!

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Stewart,

Interesting that you put your saws nuts on the opposite side of the handle than is customary. Was there a reason?
    Pete; I am left handed.