Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Tenon Saw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Lowell,
    Please do not think my question was at all meant to be derogatory or insinuate something. I am generally curious, I have thought about making a handle but don't have a band or scroll saw and was curious how people do it.
    Michael, I did not take your comment to be derogatory.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    That looks like a winner Lowell. Does the back come attached to the plate or do you have to do that?
    David,
    I attached the brass back to the saw plate with epoxy. It has held with no failure. I think sometimes the back is squeezed somehow. IIRC, Ron said to use epoxy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Kharitonkin View Post
    Nice Looping saw! I hope I can make one as well one day. There is two day course on making backsaw in my area for about $250 including materials, which are about $30.
    Andy,
    I had never made a saw before. I had made replacement handles. I suggest you make a handle for an old saw you already have for practice. I designed the handle using AutoCad.
    If you do not have cad, make a scale drawing by hand. It is a fun project.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Frederick Skelly;2714658]Nice saw Lowell! Love the curly maple. I'm going to build one of Ron's kits someday. What will you be building with this new saw - got another great grandchild coming that needs a rocker? Or something else?

Frederick,
    It is interesting you mentioned rockers. I made Paul Sellers design, Brazos Rocker years back. All of my children and one grandchild have rocking chairs I have designed and built.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Pete; I am left handed.
    Stewie, I write left handed, but everything else I do is right handed. I am all screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    David,
    I attached the brass back to the saw plate with epoxy. It has held with no failure. I think sometimes the back is squeezed somehow. IIRC, Ron said to use epoxy.
    Lowell; I use Loctite for my slotted backs. Adheres well, and if required the slotted back can be later removed with a few firm taps of the hammer and a short length of brass stock to ease it from the saw plate.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Stewie, I write left handed, but everything else I do is right handed. I am all screwed up.
    Lowell; I am left handed with most tasks.

Beautiful saw Lowell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Lowell; I use Loctite for my slotted backs. Adheres well, and if required the slotted back can be later removed with a few firm taps of the hammer and a short length of brass stock to ease it from the saw plate.

Stewie;
    Actually Stewie,
    I misspoke, I also used Loctite. I do that a lot these days, age does that to you. I'm sure I am the only one in this forum that does that.

And also, visit http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ to see examples of saws.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-07-2017 at 12:31 PM.