Thread: DMT diamond wave

DMT diamond wave

Has anybody here used this product? I am a beginner in the woodworking world. First I've been honing my gouges with a leather strop, but now I have noticed that my edge is not really sharpened enough, I think I need a stone, any recommendation? Which stone to use? What grit? How do you sharpen your gouges?
    thank you

I have the DMT diamond wave, but rarely use it. Slip stones or conical diamond stones are more controllable. The wave really fits the curve of the carving tool at only one point which is why its value is limited.
    Better options are available.
    Just my opinion/experience,
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Michael, you might want to check out Mary May's tutorials on YouTube like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i5iEhUoSi8Q

Mary is an excellent carver and instructor..

Hello thanks a lot, I don't know why but my intuition didn't make me feel so comfortable with the DMT diamond wave, like it was to simple and marvelous and in the world of fine wood working I'm learning that each step take its time and effort. Just one way: practicing.
    i also like Mary may and I've been looking some videos and practicing this weekend.

For the outside of a gouge just use Mary May's technique with a flat stone or sandpaper of your choice. If you have in-cannel gouges or use an inside bevel a cylindrical or slip stone - Arkansas, Waterstone, or Sandpaper over a dowel work well. If you want diamond dmt makes a flexible diamond foil that could be placed over a dowel.

The others are right on the dmt wave because it only fits at one point you end up sliding the gouge below and up to that point which means you will thin the middle unevenly compared to the wings.

NThank you, yes I'm not going for DMT diamond wave I prefer to prepare my own dowels or get the water slip stones.
    greetings Warren.