Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I trashed a cart tire....

I trashed a cart tire....

Today, without checking the tire pressure, I carried something heavy in my lawn cart. It very quickly trashed the tire. The side walls are just attached to the tread by threads.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCIZ5SM...a-307357655421
    they are now solid tires; mine have a tube in them.

1) I filled it with air and it looks fine. From a few feet away you can't tell it from the other tire. Is it okay to use like this, or am I risking some sort of disaster?

2) It is a 4.10/3.50-4". I see replacement wheels for $10, but they are 5/8" bore and mine is a 1/2". Is there anything to be done about this? A shim? Take the bearing out of the old wheel maybe?

3) I can buy just a tire, but they are more expensive then the wheels. Are all 4.10/3.50-4" interchangeable, or do I have know something else to have it fit the existing tire. Getting the old tire off and back on was a horrible chore. Is there some secret to it? If not, I really want a new wheel.

thanks

Bronze bushings are commonly available. Slip it into a new wheel and you’re rolling again.

Bunting Bearings AA628-25 Sleeve (Plain) Bearings, Powdered Metal SAE 841, 1/2 " Bore x 5/8 " OD x 5/8 " Length (3 Pack)
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you just use this around your home, I'd use it until it completely fails and then get a new tire.

Unless you have projects that just have to be done on that day and a tire failure will cause you major problems. But if that's your situation, you should have a spare on hand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Okay, I will run it until it fails and then get a new tire and the bushings. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Okay, I will run it until it fails and then get a new tire and the bushings. Thanks.
    With my luck it would fail right when I needed it the most.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Wade

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they have the adapter bushings. They call them sleeves though. I did the same thing to convert my hand truck over to solid tires. Same reason too!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Wade

If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they have the adapter bushings. They call them sleeves though. I did the same thing to convert my hand truck over to solid tires. Same reason too!
    Northern Tool also carries nearly any type of tire/wheel/tube; most farm stores have a fair selection.

JKJ

Just not in my nature to run it until it fails. I would rather fix it when I had time than run it until it fails.

All of my yard stuff with tires that have to be checked for air pressure have had that green goo stuff put in them. I almost never have to put air in tires now. Cheap and effective preventative.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Just not in my nature to run it until it fails. I would rather fix it when I had time than run it until it fails.

All of my yard stuff with tires that have to be checked for air pressure have had that green goo stuff put in them. I almost never have to put air in tires now. Cheap and effective preventative.
    I use that too, or some apparently even better white goo from Kubota. When the tires get even worse on non-critical things (wheelbarrows, hand trucks, etc) I put tubes in them.

I gave a can of Fix-a-Flat to a friend to keep in her car. She said her tire guy told her to never use that stuff, the goo makes repairing a tubeless tire impossible. My tire guy said nonsense, he repairs them all the time - if someone says they can't they are lazy or uneducated. Or both. (I've been using this tire place for over 30 years.)

JKJ

Somewhere I read Festool is coming out soon with their own shade of Green Goo.

Marc

I just did the same thing to my wheelbarrow tire Wade.
    I am going to put a tube in it as John has said. I had the same thing happen to my old cart for the lawn mower,and put tubes in them. They lasted for years.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I use that too, or some apparently even better white goo from Kubota. When the tires get even worse on non-critical things (wheelbarrows, hand trucks, etc) I put tubes in them.

I gave a can of Fix-a-Flat to a friend to keep in her car. She said her tire guy told her to never use that stuff, the goo makes repairing a tubeless tire impossible. My tire guy said nonsense, he repairs them all the time - if someone says they can't they are lazy or uneducated. Or both. (I've been using this tire place for over 30 years.)

JKJ
    John

I think I'd be concerned about the TPMS sensors.
    It does make a heckuva mess inside the tire and rim.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    John

I think I'd be concerned about the TPMS sensors.
    It does make a heckuva mess inside the tire and rim.

Point noted, but no sensors in the tires of this girl's old minivan. A far greater concern was breaking down somewhere at night with a nail in the tire and little three kids in the car. (This family was trying to come back from being homeless after abandonment by the alcoholic husband/father.)

JKJ

Run into local HF, with 20% off coupon in hand and buy a $4.99 tire, and hub with ball bearings included.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Run into local HF, with 20% off coupon in hand and buy a $4.99 tire, and hub with ball bearings included.
    For that price, maybe buy one for each wheel. They will all be identical and might save dealing with another failed tire the first one failed from old age.

Spray the sidewalls occasionally with Armor All or some other protectant and the cart should be good for a lifetime.

JKJ