Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many hobbyists heat/cool the shop year round?

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to run the wall unit at 80 for the summer (when unoccupied) and see how the electric bill does.

Blog Entries
    Heat/cool all year...

I do not heat or cool my SC shop garage. Temperature is OK for me but humidity in the summer is too high. Rust is not a terrible problem but shows up. I need to do a better job wiping with oil or put in a window unit (or split). Not high on the list, however, because it is not a huge issue.

I'm in South Carolina and have a dedicated 17x25 shop with 10 foot ceilings. For AC I use a very small window unit. The shop is insulated well so it can cool it down to acceptable levels in an hour or so. Even if it's 95 outside. This past winter I used an oil filled space heater for heat. Not overly pleased as it took forever to heat up the shop. This year I'll look into something with radiant heat.

I don't use the shop every day so I do not run the AC or heat unless I plan on working in the shop that day.

I only run heat/AC when I'm actually going to use my shop and only if the weather demands it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Add me to the mini-split users. I have a Gree unit with variable everything - it's quite efficient, and add the wonderful benefit of de-humidifying my shop in wet Missouri summers. I leave it on ( set to 78degrees right now), and if I'm in there for a bit, it's simple and quick to just bring the temp down if needed.

I heat and cool my shop year round - 40x40x11ft walls, R-16 in the walls and R-50-ish in the ceiling. Heatpump with propane backup. Thermostat set around 82 in the summer days, back to 78 in the evenings when I'm likely to be out there; 60 winter nights and days, and 68 in the evenings. No idea how much it costs and don't care; I want it to be comfortable when I go out there. I park my truck in my shop as well, and it's great having it at 60 degrees when I get in, even in the dead of winter...

In the summer, I find that the a/c doesn't cycle often enough to keep the humidity under control, so I added a dehumidifier set at 65% and run it all summer long. Haven't had a rusted tool since I put it in. Great investment.

My shop is 30x40x12 and heavily insulated. Am located in SE MN. I have a Reznor ceiling mount heater and a wood burner. Prior to the Reznor, I usd the wood burner only when I was out working. This last winter, I set the thermostat for the Reznor on 40F, and left it there. If more heat was needed, I used the wood burner. Burning wood, I can have any temp I want.

I have a window AC unit which we had in the house years back, but not installed it yet - so summer is handled with fans or open the o/h door.

Well, this year I have not had the problem of cooling the shop. We have only had two days above 90' this year and have struggled to get into the 70's and 80's. In the winter I keep the shop about 55' and sometimes will bump it up when if I'm working out there and get cold. Was looking at putting in a mini-split this year out there.