Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Moraivan Work Bench Base is Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Ken:

It looks beautiful and very useful!

I'm not being critical, just seeking greater light and knowledge.

Questions:

1. The legs themselves are large, relatively rigid posts, that do not require midspan support to resist buckling. Is that an accurate statement?

2. In this case, since you haven't incorporated diagonal braces, spreading and racking forces are resisted by the 3 rails. Is that the plan?

3. 90 degree rails can only resist racking forces through their resistance to bending forces. Wider/thicker rails will naturally be stiffer and better resist bending forces than narrow ones. Why is the bottom rail relatively smaller and less rigid than than the others? Do you experience reduced racking forces at the bottom?

4. Racking forces (couple) are transmitted to the rails via the joints, of course, and the degree those forces are transmitted is directly dependent on the rigidity (resistance to rotation) of the joints at each end. The top rail uses a bridle joint which is relatively rigid. The middle rails uses an M&T joint, which is also relatively rigid. The bottom rail is secured with (pinned?) inlet dovetail joints, which do not resist rotation as effectively. Why not use M&T? Appearance?

Thanks,

Stan
    Stan,

No problem, I'm not very sensitive.

The bench is a very close copy of a Moravian jointer's portable bench. Those were the joints he used for his bench. I figured if it worked for him why change anything plus I was working under tight time constrants. BTW, I went into the build just wanting a small, light weight bench that could fit in one of the motorhome's bins. Not expecting too much from the bench but it turns out with a slightly thicker slab the bench could easily be a main bench.

I've been using the bench today to make the tool tray for the Japanese style tool box. It is rock solid even with the thin slab. I've sawed boards to length, planed edges true and smoothed, plowed grooves, sawed, chopped and pared dovetails and every job was a pleasure. I'm impressed, I've even enjoyed using the leg vise and I've never been a leg vise fan.

I think when I build the next one, and I expect there will be another once back from Oregon, I will build it with a glued up thicker and slightly wider slab. The bottom rail may change to a M&T and I will use a prettier wood for the base. Most of the decisions made for this build were to save time. Even with all that I only finished with a week to spare.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Stan,

No problem, I'm not very sensitive.

The bench is a very close copy of a Moravian jointer's portable bench. Those were the joints he used for his bench. I figured if it worked for him why change anything plus I was working under tight time constrants. BTW, I went into the build just wanting a small, light weight bench that could fit in one of the motorhome's bins. Not expecting too much from the bench but it turns out with a slightly thicker slab the bench could easily be a main bench.

I've been using the bench today to make the tool tray for the Japanese style tool box. It is rock solid even with the thin slab. I've sawed boards to length, planed edges true and smoothed, plowed grooves, sawed, chopped and pared dovetails and every job was a pleasure. I'm impressed, I've even enjoyed using the leg vise and I've never been a leg vise fan.

I think when I build the next one, and I expect there will be another once back from Oregon, I will build it with a glued up thicker and slightly wider slab. The bottom rail may change to a M&T and I will use a prettier wood for the base. Most of the decisions made for this build were to save time. Even with all that I only finished with a week to spare.

ken
    Thanks for the clarification Ken. Now I understand the design. The important thing is that it works well, which it clearly does.

But will you have time to use it while on the road in between driving and whisky and tacos?

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Ken. Now I understand the design. The important thing is that it works well, which it clearly does.

But will you have time to use it while on the road in between driving and whisky and tacos?

Stan
    Stan,

You forgot ball throwing and doggie butt scratching . If I find time to put it together and to open the tool box I'll be happy. With that I figure it will be worth a few free whisky's and conversations with the neighbors.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Stan,

You forgot ball throwing and doggie butt scratching . If I find time to put it together and to open the tool box I'll be happy. With that I figure it will be worth a few free whisky's and conversations with the neighbors.

ken
    A workbench, a toolbox of well-tuned and happy tools, a wiggling doggy with a butt in need of scratching, and the occasional jar of free libation. Life is sweet!