Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gasoline powered tablesaw

Gasoline powered tablesaw

I haven't been on here for quite a while so I wanted to post pictures of this saw. As you can see it wasn't in good shape when I bought it. It took a lot of work to get it in this shape. I matched the colors as close as possible. I would not have found parts for the motor if not for ebay. It is an original Construction Machinery Co. saw. With no records to go by I do not know when it was made. I have a sales brochure that lists the saw. It is a 14" saw and the motor is a 8.5 hp Wisconsin made between 1942 and 1957. They made a smaller version and a 20" saw with a 4cy. motor. I have tried all the online tool appraisers but get no reply so I don't know what it is worth. Has anyone seen one like it? I would like to know what it is worth.

100_3093.jpg100_3230.jpg100_3228.jpg100_3229.jpg

I cannot help with a value, but will say that is a real nice looking restoration. Unusual restoration also !

You did a beautiful job of restoration. Is the top cast iron?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No, the top is steel. The foot pedal raises the blade. I don't have the fence or miter gage but I don't plan on cutting anything with it. The blade is only a 12" steel blade, but it has a 1 1/4" arbor. The miter gage, if I had it, bolts to the table top and the blade is raised with the foot pedal, kinda like a upcut saw. One of the things I noticed in the sales brochure is that the guard was optional.

That's the first time I've ever seen one before. One of the local club members did bring in a gasoline powered circular saw though. Picture a chainsaw motor instead of an electric motor. Yours and his would have been for construction sites without power.

I have no idea what it's worth but that is one heck of a neat saw. Great job on the restoration!!!

You may be able to get more info on your saw at OWWM dot Org. They won't be able to give you a value (against the rules) but someone may have more info on it. I see you've already posted it at Vintage Machinery.

Try the vintage tool site. Lots of old stuff there.

Edit: OOPS, didn't notice you already tried it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'll give you 50 bucks including shipping.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Nice job on the restoration. Good old Wisconsin engine. In the day they were a very dependable engine. The orange looks good on it but the ones I was around were always gray. Not meaning to split hairs though.

Bobby does the blade come up and travel along the entire slot, or just up and down?

That's a beautiful restoration! Wow...

I can't help with the questions, but look forward to seeing any answers you do come up with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, I am surprised that it is the only CM piece on there. They were heavy into pumps and hoist. I am working on an old Covel surface grinder right now. Had to have parts machined since Clausing has nothing. Their service department did send me some of the original drawings. Waiting on machine shop now. I also have a 1962 Hobart welder and a 32" Crescent bandsaw waiting. A friend of mine who was with the State Police dropped off his new 32' horse trailer and we put living quarters in it. Ain't retirement wonderful.100_3343.jpg100_3376.jpg100_3374.jpg100_3375.jpg100_3149.jpg100_3182.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember years ago looking through the doors at the Knights Foundry in Sutter Creek California and seeing a tablesaw for cutting kindling wood for the melting pot. Interesting thing was instead of a electric motor it had a small water turbine belt driving the blade. I think most of the foundry was water powered. Smog laws shut it down afterwards. When I saw it they were only pouring once or twice a week.
    The link is worth checking out for the pattern shop pictures.
    Bill

http://knightfoundry.com/sutter-cree...-machine-shop/

Fantastic restoration! If you want new blades with a 1 1/4 inch arbor, that's what Shopsmith uses, but they would only be 10".
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!