Thread: 3D Blocks v.3

3D Blocks v.3

11 x 9 Cherry

One of the interesting features of this piece is that all of the blocks are approximately the same size, unlike classic segmenting where the segments get smaller as the rings get smaller. This created an additional challenge when stacking the rings, but it also helped with the randomness of the pattern.

You are welcome to count the segments. I have not.

Piece does not have final finish yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

That's really neat. I'm still a beginning Turner (though a fairly skilled flat woodworker) and I cant for the life of me figure out how you got the 3D. I mean, I could think of a couple very brute force ways to get this, but I doubt they'd look as well-crafted as you've achieved here. It's just beautifully executed.

Is your technique a personal "trade secret" or could you briefly describe it (so I don't pull out my hair trying to figure it out today)?

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    11 x 9 Cherry One of the interesting features of this piece is that all of the blocks are approximately the same size, unlike classic segmenting where the segments get smaller as the rings get smaller.
    I really like that. The deep nearly random surface with the pieces about the same size makes it look like extreme texturing instead of just another polished segmented piece. I suspect this piece is headed to a gallery, publication, or at least a symposium, or should be. The title indicates there might be V.1 and V.2 - do you have other pictures here somewhere?

From the photo the finish looks perfect. I don't know what you had in mind but I'm imagining a glossier finish might detract from the impact.

JKJ

4. Well conceived and executed John!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Is your technique a personal "trade secret" or could you briefly describe it (so I don't pull out my hair trying to figure it out today)?
    Although John is as nice a person as you will ever meet - gracious as they come, I suspect this is or will be the topic of demonstrations and classes John gives around the country and not available for mass publication.

Left click my name for homepage link.

This work is excellent on an artistic level as well as "how did he do that" level.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    11 x 9 Cherry

One of the interesting features of this piece is that all of the blocks are approximately the same size, unlike classic segmenting where the segments get smaller as the rings get smaller. This created an additional challenge when stacking the rings, but it also helped with the randomness of the pattern.

You are welcome to count the segments. I have not.

Piece does not have final finish yet.
    Does this mean the block's angle changes as the ring size changes?

PS, I attended your wave bowl demo in Santa Rosa.

Beautiful piece.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Although John is as nice a person as you will ever meet - gracious as they come, I suspect this is or will be the topic of demonstrations and classes John gives around the country and not available for mass publication.
    Thanks John. Makes perfectly good sense.
    Fred

Excellent! Innovative, thought provoking and captivating all rolled into one really nice form! Looking forward to seeing where this new tangent takes you! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Fantastic looking piece.

I suspect the initial versions were to try and figure out the best thickness of the blocks to allow you to offset them and still have contact between the blocks. You could do it on a computer I guess if you were into that method rather than the dust and noise of cutting loads of sample pieces to work it out each ring.

Was the inside turned smooth? The outside of each block would need to be finish sanded and maybe a coat of finish before glue up and then lightly glued to avoid any squeeze out in the back corners that would need to be removed.

Thank you for all the comments. Especially John Keeton. Yes for now I am keeping this close to the breast. Will think about sharing technique down the line a bit. Managing the glue squeeze out is definitely one of the issues. The inside is turned smooth and looks like a classic segmented piece. The previous versions were to work out technique and issues. V2 is bigger blocks with 3 species. It's on my website.

John, I love it. I wish that I had the patience, skill, and talent that you display on all your pieces.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Cheers,
    David