Thread: Pickings for today

Pickings for today

From the World's Longest Yard Sale.....Got a late start, only stopped at half the sales we saw. Bought a few items, from several vendors....
    chop saw.jpg
    Did NOT have any room for this "chop saw"....had a drive shaft for a tractor's PTO shaft.
    booth display 1.jpg
    I passed on these, as well....someone thought they were gold-plated....sooo, outside to the vendors in the tents....and on to other sales.
    Finally, gave up for the day....legs were getting tired..spent $18 on a few items, from a few vendors between Celina and Greenville, OH
    rusty.jpg
    Not too hateful of a group?
    three yankees.jpg
    A little 12" backsaw, a few North Bros. Yankees
    IMG_1347 (640x480).jpg
    #3 sized Dunlap. Rehabbed the saw, and the large square..
    other side.jpg
    Saw is 5-1/2 ppi Rip. WS Medallion, with eagle. I can't find a "match" for the bolt pattern, doesn't match any by Disston.
    Square is a Stanley No. 20, 12" Brass strip on the wood handle is missing one screw. Will need a longer one to replace it, someday.
    Saw needed a bolt replaced because..
    bad bolt.jpg
    That one just had to go. Owner had peened the bolt over onto the nut. Had to grind that off, to get the nut to turn. Visegrips to hold, then turn with a screwdriver. happened to have a correct sized replacement.

We got onto US 127 at St Rt 274, little town called Cartagenia(sp?) OH. Antique "Mall" was at a truck stop like place....golf cart sales. sporting goods store, main store was for the gas station, had a deli, and a grocery store. Then there was that mall. Along with 15 vendors set up in tents...

Another stop was just north of Greenville on US 127...."York Woods" campground. Bunch of vendors set up, including a few food sellers. One seller had small animals for sale. Another had tables loaded with tools....even had a Wardsmaster mitre box....minus the saw. Same as a Stanley 2246.

Decided we had had enough for one day.....and went back home. Maybe next year, we can get an earlier start?
    Rehabs to follow, as I get to them.
    Parting shot..
    booth 2.jpg
    Didn't see anything I needed, here.
    maybe next year?

SWMBO and I did the 127 sale in 2008. We started in Jamestown, TN and finished in Van Wert, OH. It was an interesting adventure. I found a number of prizes, some of which are still part of my user kit.

Link to original post from 2008
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Got the three Yankees all cleaned up...decided to have a group picture of the "set"
    yankee drills.jpg
    Later, while digging through a drawer, looking for another tool...found another Stanley #130, with a phillips tip.

Might have a "problem"? Three are the no. 130....two are marked as Stanley, the third is older, and marked as North Bros. only.....with three patent dates.

Hey Steve <cough cough>, did um, one of them there squares follow you home?

Loved that old saw..... Do you know the intent of the saw? Is that supposed to be like a table saw, or for something different? It sure looked safe with all those safety features.... Reminds me of a table saw my Father-in-law asked me if I wanted. The top was not well secured and it rocked.... and he has been known to use it...... and cut bits of himself off with it. Not large bits mind you, a small little bit of the finger here, a little something else there..... I declined, although my wife said that I should have taken it so that he could not use it.

Was used to cut firewood to a length they could use.

Squares?
    other side.jpg
    Hmmm...could be...

Blog Entries
    It is easy to make wooden squares and miters. I've made them.
    Can't find them. A fat handle helps.

I think I'll keep the rosewood ones, for now.

Went to all the trouble to repair that cracked handle.....might leave it as is.

Still haven't found a match for that bolt pattern....not a D-8, nor an Atkins made one....should make a nice Toolbox Saw....for any rip jobs.

Headcount on the Yankees is 9....counting a Handyman 133H......half the yankees are from Stanley, the other four are strictly North Bros. even has the patent dates on them.

The little backsaw? Needs to go out to be sharpened....I can see them little teeth (11ppi) well enough to sharpen myself....@ $0.60 /inch....I think I can afford to have the fellow do the work. Replaced the steel bolts with ones of Brass....ugly finish was wire wheeled off, BLO applied. May have it sharpened crosscut, as I already have a Disston No.4 filed rip.

There is one more event coming up...West Liberty, OH has a Tractor Fest on Labor Day weekend....last year I walked about 2 miles,shopping through all the vendors....then returned a second day and walked it all again... well worth the trip...

That little Dunlap #3...
    dunlap 3.jpg
    Was marked as $7 on the tag....got it for $3. Gave it a rehab today..
    fornt view.jpg
    Barely took an hour..
    test drive.jpg
    Ugly finish on the handles was removed, and replaced with BLO. Handle bolts were shortened by a couple threads. Iron was flattened, chipbreaker tuned up, and set 1mm back from the edge.
    rear view.jpg
    Marked as a Dunlap "BL".
    side view.jpg
    Sole was actually flat! Frog's face was flattened, and not much else needed done
    shavings.jpg
    The darker shavings came from a Jack Plane....#3 is working on some Maple...

Not too bad...for $3?

Yeah, nice. I know where a couple of Dunlap planes are. $15-$25, and would need rehabbing.
    I know nothing but Stanley and Millers Falls. Are the Dunlaps decent planes?

Dunlaps were made by Sargent, Millers Falls, AND Stanley.....depending on who got the contract that year.....They can be decent planes..depends on what year they were made.

Thanks, Steven.

Things were a bit skimpy today....one item came home..
    IMG_1429 (640x480).jpg
    12v Makita, with charger and two batteries. Pile of bits, too..
    IMG_1434 (640x480).jpg
    Even has two chuck keys! Price for this little gem?
    IMG_1436 (640x480).jpgYep, $10
    I closed the lid, paid the lady, and went home. Might find some use for it..

Skimpy? LOL!
    I found a wooden handled Phillips and Standard screw driver. $1 for both. Nothing else worth grabbing today.
    There is a plane at a local antiques place. Don't remember the brand, but it looks to be in good condition, and well built. Thick casting, not much rust. Size of a #6. $59.
    I am considering purchasing it. I have not been able to find a #7 around here, and this plane might work well as a jointer. Not certain of the price, though. Will have to think about it a bit more.