Thread: Keepsake Box

Keepsake Box

My granddaughter is getting married. My wife has lots of ideas for presents. This keepsake box is from me. The proportions were chosen for it to be used for accepting wedding cards at the reception. It is frame-and-panel construction. The panels are quilted maple veneer on 1/8" plywood backed with okumwe. The frames are bloodwood/satine. The quilted maple is finished with Honeytone Amber dye, one coat of General Finishes Seal-a-Cell and many coats of General Finishes Arm-r-Seal, the last coat being cut 50:50 and not wiped. It produces a fine surface using brushes; I don't have spray capability. The frames are finished with General Finishes acrylic; oil-based finishes make this wood turn dull brown. The tray is basswood, reinforced with bloodwood/satine keys. The box is reinforced with basswood splines. The lid uses Brusso stop hinges; they are expensive, but good quality. The feet are recessed from the edges, giving a floating appearance. Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Truly beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love it and your granddaughter will cherish it.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!