Thread: Sweet Gum Vase

Sweet Gum Vase

An unusual piece of sweet gum that was almost all heartwood was given to me by Bob Baccus and ended up as this vase. About 13-1/2 inches tall, finished with Minwax Wipe On Poly. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice wood. Really like the shape. I have a large chunk of wet sweet gum I want to make a hollow form.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

is this heavily spalted? The sweet gum I have seen is maple like in color. very pretty piece.

You did it proud yeah--the price of SG blanks may go up.

Very nice Dennis, I like it a lot!
    Is that a lid on top or part of the design? Either way it is a keeper.

Great work with a fantastic piece of wood!

Dennis, you always have a good eye for form and this piece is no exception. Great coloration in the wood and it even appears to have some ambrosia markings. I am not familiar enough with sweet gum to know whether that is common or even occurs.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Dennis, that piece is exceptional. You brought great form to a beautiful piece of wood. An example for all of us to follow!
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Pretty wood - LOVE the form! Keep up the good work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

It's not ambrosia beetles, just streaky sweetgum heartwood and sap stain. Only one sweetgum log in 4 or so has a significant amount of heartwood -- for whatever reason.

Like everyone else said Dennis, top shelf looking timber and execution. Keeper for sure.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Da gum, that's some nice sweet gum. I personally think you nailed the shape of the vase, it is very pleasing to my eye. I like the neck and especially how the flow from the mouth is not interrupted by it on the way to the base. Very nice!
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    It's not ambrosia beetles, just streaky sweetgum heartwood and sap stain. Only one sweetgum log in 4 or so has a significant amount of heartwood -- for whatever reason.
    This is correct, I believe that age is part of the reason. Fast growing sweet gum can be pretty big with little or no heartwood, trees growing closely together grow slower and may get old enough to have heartwood.