Thread: shift table saw to the far right

shift table saw to the far right

My shop is about 16' x 40' and so width space is at a premium. Take a look at these two pictures. I'm thinking about moving my Unisaw as far right as possible. This would mean
    • that the router would no longer be useful,
    • nor could i use that one cabinet much -- ok as that bay is not being used right now --
    • i'd have to cut the back rail of the table saw since it would hit the top. This should be ok i think as well.
    • i think i'd have plenty of room still to get to the cabinets even if i put a reasonable extension table on the table saw which i need to do.

The table saw sits at the same height as the counter -- 34".

So i'd let the bean on which the fence rides run just along the edge of the counter and terminate into the wall. Then i'd like the 24" of counter be part of the table saw top. The other thing i'l later have to account for is dust collection...if i keep this saw i'm going to get a shark guard and so i'd need the overhead dust collector to likely come up thru that cabinet...thru the top...over head or something like that.

two questions for you.

1) am i missing anything
    2) i'm starting to think sawstop so would this idea just make no sense in that case?

IMG_8819.JPGIMG_8820.JPGIMG_8823.JPGIMG_8824.JPG
    Bob C

I would leave the saw as is and put it on a mobile base so you can spin it as needed for the cut. Put machines like that bandsaw on wheels to move it out of the way until needed. The SawStop hydraulic base is great so even if you got it for the saw you have you'd be ahead. If you decide on the SawStop later you already have the base. I prefer the tablesaw over all others to for crosscutting so like the larger top. Your work may dictate otherwise.

+ 1 for a mobile base. Almost everything in my shop is on casters (assembly table, radial arm saw, table saw, band saw, dust collector, jointer, thickness planer/oscillating sander staton, drill press/bench grinder/belt/disc sander station) I can't imagine a small shop without mobile bases. All mine are shop made and the first lesson I learned was don't cheap out on the casters.

My 52" Unifence is up against the wall of my shop (well 4" away), but I do my full sheet break downs outside on a cutting table with a circular saw and then bring half sheet or less pieces into the shop for final sizing. My shop is 14 X 26' and the Unisaw is located about midway along the 26' wall. My 6" jointer is along the left side of the Unisaw and further left is a narrow walkway with my miter saw on the left wall. It's tight but it works. I couldn't bring myself to cutting down the Unifence, thinking I'll have a bigger shop someday.

Charley

I had a nearly identical set up as you -- Unisaw table saw/router - once upon a time, for about 10 years and had it right hard against the right wall.
    In another shop I just had the saw against the wall. If I could do it now I would do it again. No cabinetry involved so that's different, though I had a full width x 48" extension table to the right and front of the saw with storage underneath. This was an excellent set up. The router was used mostly for router table stuff that required a fence so it was very useful and not inconvenient at all not being able to get to the end.

The important consideration is that you have full access to your maximum fence capacity and preferably not a bunch of stuff on a bench in front of the saw that will need to be moved. Even occasionally that can be a nuisance - though shelving above is useful.

Worked well for me so I share. I'd rather park my TS than have it on rollers. In the old days I needed to allow 10' or 12' of capacity ripping front and back all the way to the capacity of the fence but now with a track saw and a good bandsaw ripping sheet goods and solid stock rarely involves the table saw so that front and back clearance is not so critical. I would still want that much clearance for at least 12'' to 16" to the right of the blade, just not all the way to the wall.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The problems with your setup are that your router is too far from the saw blade, and the table saw too far from the wall. See how I mounted mine. Shop is about 20' wide.

http://i.imgur.com/jvWddoE.jpg
    shop-1.jpg
    Last edited by andy bessette; 08-10-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."