Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corded Drill for Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

Question Corded Drill for Kreg Pocket Hole Jig

Well I was borrowing a friends corded drill to make the pockets in a dresser I am making and he needed to have the drill back... So I want to just buy one just so I do not need to deal with the whole "can I borrow your drill?" thing. Besides his drill spun too slow, according to Kreg the drill needs to be at least 2000 rpm just to keep the tip from over heating... So I am looking for a 1/2" 2000+ rpm drill I already have a cordless drill. Any thoughts, looking to stay around the $100 mark if possible.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter!
    Going on 25 years, without a single burp.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

i have an older version of this drill,probably 20-25yrs old.can't kill it.i tried mixing a bucket of thinset with this drill,i know stupid on my part,the drill started smoking,shut it off figuring i killed it,let it cool off turned it on and the drill was fine.i use this drill with my kreg jig.i concur with tyler about the milwaukee magnum,thats the drill i bought to mix the thinset.if you're not careful it will turn you aroun 360 deg.http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...f3a+1130550748

I bought a dewalt 3/8" (that's all you need for the kreg) from amazon for 30.00 it was a refurb, works great. I tried using my cordless too. Just not enough speed to feed it and clear the chips. I will warn the hole shooter is a heavy drill for pocket holes. Especialy if your going to use it for alot of holes.
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 10-28-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Michael,
    You're in luck since the high RPM drills are the cheap ones. I have the ~$60 DeWalt.

I have been looking around and noticed that the 1/2" drills seem to top out at 850 rpm and the 3/8" ones go higher... Here is the strange one my PC 12V has a 1/2" chuck... It's a conspiracy I say
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I already had a corded 1/2" drill that was too slow, so I bought a Black and Decker 3/8" drill that works great for this purpose (which is about the only purpose I have for a corded 3/8" drill.) I think I paid about $30 at a B&D outlet store.

One thing to watch out for is to get one with as high as possible an amp rating. I tried a Skil drill from Menards that didn't work because it bogged down drilling the holes. The B&D had about double the amp rating of the Skil.

I solved this problem by buying a well used corder Milwaukee hammer drill. Killed two birds with one stone. Price was a bit higher than some of the quotes here, but I liked the idea of having the industrial quality as well as the hammer option. BTW, the weight is something to concider, it is pretty heavy.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Milwaukee 3/8 holeshooter 2500rpm

smooth, fast, heavy. Go with light!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a black and decker corded drill for the same purpose and it's perfect.

I have always used my Dewalt cordless with my Kreg jig. I have no idea what kind of RPMs it has, but it works fine. I can understand the bit getting hot if you used it in a production setting, but I have drilled hundreds and hundreds of pockets with the original bit and it still seems to work fine. Am I missing something?

I use a "very old" green Black and Decker "consumer" 3/8" corded drill for this. 'Could be a good excuse to visit one or three of your local pawn shops!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most 18V + Cordless models will work just fine. In fact if you watch the Kreg videos, he uses Dewalt Cordless models on every project, has a couple of them ready. They will work just fine. I use a Ridgid 3/8 corded myself.

Corey

I bought a DeWalt 21008, 3/8" 6 amp 0-2500 rpm for about $60, primarily for use with the Kreg, although I use it for whatever when I'm at the workbench. It has plenty of power and isn't a lightweight, but isn't extraheavy. Works fine with the Kreg jig.

I got the Hitachi corded drill for $50. It works fine for the Kreg and for my Lee Valley shelf pin jig. Mucho better than my 14.4V Makita.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....