Thread: Incra Router Fence Question

Incra Router Fence Question

I just put together my new Incra router fence mounted to their router table top. Is the fence suppose to float above the table slightly or is it supposed to rest flush with the top? Mine does neither, but it does touch in a few spots. If it is supposed to touch the top, I will add some UHMW tape to the bottom of it to prevent scraping of the top. But either way it needs some adjustment.

Curious about this as well. Added some of the same tape you mentioned and it helped. I know my top isn't exactly dead level as its larger and "good enough". I did add some fender washers under the main positioner housing to give it more clearance which also helped.

As long as the fence is square and cuts the way you want it should be a problem. Mine is slightly above the table (very slight).

Using the mounting tape which, if I remember correctly, was included should help the fence slide over the table surface better, and improve the sliding movement when setting up for a cut.

In the end, I haven't found that it makes any difference in accuracy as long as the fence is square to the miter slot on the table and square to the table vertically.

If it makes you feel better try adjusting the fence vertically, which I remember is also possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    As long as the fence is square and cuts the way you want it should be a problem. Mine is slightly above the table (very slight).

Using the mounting tape which, if I remember correctly, was included should help the fence slide over the table surface better, and improve the sliding movement when setting up for a cut.

In the end, I haven't found that it makes any difference in accuracy as long as the fence is square to the miter slot on the table and square to the table vertically.

If it makes you feel better try adjusting the fence vertically, which I remember is also possible.
    I guess my question is: is the fence suppose to float or is it supposed to ride the table? I can live with either option, but though the floating setup could sag over time.

I built my table with the Incra fence over 12 years ago, and mine has always ridden on the table. After all that time, one really has to look closely at the phenolic top to see the faint rub marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bass View Post
    I guess my question is: is the fence suppose to float or is it supposed to ride the table? I can live with either option, but though the floating setup could sag over time.
    As far as I can tell, my fence rests on the table. There might be an almost imperceptible "gap" between the fence and the table, but it's so small that my eyes can't really tell for sure. I would say having it resting on the table is the intent.

I have found Incra's technical support to be excellent and always very helpful when I have questions. They are responsive and always have a detailed answer based on their own experience with the Incra products. They are, in short, professionals. I have also found that Incra takes all questions seriously and feels that none are insignificant when it comes to use of their products. Give them a call. If you get their voicemail, leave a message. I guarantee they will call you back; usually the same day a short time after you leave the message. They are the final correct answer on everything Incra.

Yes, rides on the table. I just mounted an Incra fence on an Incra top a few months ago, it rides on the table. Wonderful set up by the way, the achievable precision and repeatability is amazing. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    I built my table with the Incra fence over 12 years ago, and mine has always ridden on the table. After all that time, one really has to look closely at the phenolic top to see the faint rub marks.
    I did the same thing. I also have the incra table saw fence system with 92" rails and the incra 5000 miter sled all of which I have had for several years. My fence sits slightly above the table maybe a mm here or there but it doesn't effect anything and i haven't noticed any sagging on any of my incra products.