Thread: Dining Chair

Dining Chair

Hey guys,

Yesterday I finished a chair in the shop, it was made to order for a client.
    I did not have time to document the process, but since I still have to do 6 more (I made the first one for the client to evaluate) I promise that the next ones will be documented, maybe a video on youtube ...

The chair was made entirely in Imbuia ("Brazilian wallnut"), the seat was outsourced, it is gray linen.

I've been posting my work regularly on instagram, you can check it out on : https://www.instagram.com/otavio_coelho/
    But I'm definitely going to start sharing it here too, and I'd love to get some feedback from you guys.

Thanks!

01mcb.jpg02mcb.jpg03mcb.jpg05mcb.jpg04mcb.jpg

Nice!
    How did you make the smooth curves between the legs and the back of the back?

Welcome Octavio! Glad to have you join us and look forward to seeing more of your work!

That's a pretty chair. I like the simple lines and the streamlined shape. The seat upholstery is excellent.

In addition to Jamie's question, I wondered how you connected the legs to the horizonal parts supporting the seat. The joint looks like a tight "butt joint", but it obviously can't be. So how did you connect the two parts?

I also wondered about twisting or racking - what did you do to make sure the chair will be rigid and hold is shape over time? Perhaps the seat is very strong and will keep the back legs firmly braced?

Fred

Beautiful work Otavio! I love working with imbuia and its spicy smell.

Welcome to the Creek!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey guys, I'm very glad you liked the chair!

Jamie Buxton
    Nice!
    How did you make the smooth curves between the legs and the back of the back?
    Thank you Jamie,
    I went for the Maloof approach. Band saw, then rasps, then sand paper. Very consuming work, I'll probably try power carving the next batch (Foredom tool, etc...)
    P.S.: I've just got myself a GoPro, so expect a video soon.

Frederick Skelly
    Welcome Octavio! Glad to have you join us and look forward to seeing more of your work!

That's a pretty chair. I like the simple lines and the streamlined shape. The seat upholstery is excellent.

In addition to Jamie's question, I wondered how you connected the legs to the horizonal parts supporting the seat. The joint looks like a tight "butt joint", but it obviously can't be. So how did you connect the two parts?

I also wondered about twisting or racking - what did you do to make sure the chair will be rigid and hold is shape over time? Perhaps the seat is very strong and will keep the back legs firmly braced?

Fred
    Thank you Fred, I'm glad to be part of it!
    There is a horizontal stretcher "hidden" under the seat, and the longitudinal stretchers are doweled to the front stretcher. That, plus the back rest connection makes it pretty solid.
    Here are a few photos without the seat on:
    20170807_133459.jpg20170805_202236.jpg20170804_201843-01.jpg

Bruce Page
    Beautiful work Otavio! I love working with imbuia and its spicy smell.

Welcome to the Creek!
    Thanks Bruce, Imbuia is my favorite!