Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Contractor's table saw Platinum Edition - USA Made?

Delta Contractor's table saw Platinum Edition - USA Made?

I read somewhere this evening that the Delta Contractor's Table Saw Platinum Edition was made in the USA. Anyone know if this is true? It looks like Delta offered these sometime between 1993-1998. I think I bought mine used around 2000. It has the Unifence (sadly not the Beismeyer), 30" table extension and mobile base. I always figured it was Chiwanese. It would be nice to learn it was Made in the USA but I'm skeptical. Thanks.

I currently own two of these saws(one will be for sale,I bought it for the unifence and will be selling it with a general T fence). Mine are not platinun editions and I am not sure but think they are made in Taiwan. I will check tomorrow. Still very capable saws. Look at the model plate/sticker it will say where it was made.Mike.

My American Delta machines from that era have a Made in USA sticker including my 1998 Unisaw. I would be skeptical if you don't have the sticker. Of course it is possible that the sticker was removed at some point.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I read somewhere this evening that the Delta Contractor's Table Saw Platinum Edition was made in the USA. Anyone know if this is true? It looks like Delta offered these sometime between 1993-1998. I think I bought mine used around 2000. It has the Unifence (sadly not the Beismeyer), 30" table extension and mobile base. I always figured it was Chiwanese. It would be nice to learn it was Made in the USA but I'm skeptical. Thanks.
    I bought one new circa 2001--still have it but don't currently use it. Mine is USA-made, but Delta at that time was selling other, very similar looking models that were imports.

The model numbers are different between the domestic and import saws, which should be able to answer the question for you. Unfortunately I am not where I can confirm the model number on mine at the moment.
    Chuck Taylor

I have a Platinum band saw and it is US made. If I recall the Platinum label was just a paint job and extra accessories added to the regular US manufactured line. They did it for a year or so, then did a white paint job. My Delta Contractors saw is a version just before they went "platinum" and it is indeed US made. I'd bet that nearly all Unifence configured saws are from the US plants.

Oh. The Unifence is the greatest. I would never give mine up. The lowside fence is the most overlooked feature and I use it very often.
    Last edited by Mike Circo; 08-09-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

I thought those were made in the USA. Doesn't it say where it's made on the saw?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My American Delta machines from that era have a Made in USA sticker including my 1998 Unisaw. I would be skeptical if you don't have the sticker. Of course it is possible that the sticker was removed at some point.
    In the front, it has the "Made with pride in America" sticker but you know how it is - can't always believe what you hear or read.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I bought one new circa 2001--still have it but don't currently use it. Mine is USA-made, but Delta at that time was selling other, very similar looking models that were imports.

The model numbers are different between the domestic and import saws, which should be able to answer the question for you. Unfortunately I am not where I can confirm the model number on mine at the moment.
    According to my documentation (eg, manuals) my Platinum Edition Contractor's TS is a model 36-477.

In the front, it has the "Made with pride in America" sticker but you know how it is - can't always believe what you hear or read.
    Seems like it would be a big no-no to falsely put that sticker on if it wasn't.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

According to my documentation (eg, manuals) my Platinum Edition Contractor's TS is a model 36-477.
    As is mine. I think you've got the real American deal.
    Chuck Taylor

Delta's Platinum Edition included the contractor's table saw, Unisaw, 14" bandsaw and shaper. All were made in the US. I have the Unisaw and bandsaw myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    Delta's Platinum Edition included the contractor's table saw, Unisaw, 14" bandsaw and shaper. All were made in the US. I have the Unisaw and bandsaw myself.
    As a lover of OWWM, I wouldn't trade my '47 Delta Unisaw or my '56 14" Delta bandsaw with you but I do enjoy my contractor's saw. I've got a mid-to-late 80's Delta shaper model 43-122. I suspect (more like hope) it's American made but I'm not sure. Feels like it is.

Mike I checked one of my saws and it is made in the the USA. A 1992 saw.

I have a mid 80's Unisaw and 54" Unifence, all made in USA. I don't think you've given the Unifence a chance. I use the Biesmeyer at work and my Unifence at home.
    I much prefer the Unifence because of it's versatility.

I like the ability of the Unifence to be used in both low or high fence positions, slide it back to make it like a European fence that ends just after the blade, or switch the extrusion around to use it on the opposite side of the blade. I also have a Uni-T-Fence extrusion from Peachtree Woodworking Tools twww.ptreeusa.com hat gives me an HDMW plastic rub surface along the bottom of the fence and T slots on the side and top for attaching feather boards, etc. I also have a short 16" version of this Uni-T-Fence for use when I use the fence as a stop when miter cutting. The flexibility of the Unifence is why I like it.
    I have all kinds of "work arounds" at work for doing these things with the Biesmeyer, wooden blocks, and clamps, but it's much easier to do at home using my Unifence. I still can't believe they stopped making it.

Charley

Charley,
    I love my Unifence on my Platinum edition contractor's saw so my comment was definitely misleading. I've just heard a lot of people who love the Beismeyer so my comment was that "grass is always greener" thing with something I've never used but have wanted to for a long time. I honestly can't say there's anything lacking in the Unifence for what I ask it to do.

Mike