Thread: What the ...????

What the ...????

Opening the CREEK today and everything has changed. This will take some serious adjustment. My 1st impression is that I am very unhappy with the change.

For one thing - Why is the navigation bar gone?
    2nd- Where is the NEW POST button?
    3rd - Can I get a one shot page version of the subforms without the need to scroll?

This is not an improvement! IMHO
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

WAIT WAIT - Now I'm back to the old version What is happening? Was I just dreaming?

Please don't change this format to whatever CREEK I was just in.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sam...V-bulletin upgrades have gotten so bad for most and caused massive complaints so Keith and the Creek are currently trying out some new software. Keith's posted several times this spring and summer by late summer new software will be used here.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken is correct, Sam...there will be some visual changes that occur when SMC migrates to the new software platform, but I assure you it will be a "short" learning curve. Keith and Aaron have no choice but to evolve the site to the new software because vBulletin has become unmanageable. I've been through this identical conversion in another forum site I help moderate and things went smoothly.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

We are now on Bulletin right? What was that other version I somehow got linked too?

I really was not happy to be there. Is that what we are likely to end up with? OR - was that a work in progress? I have lived through a couple of favorite forum upgrades and those have certainly been for the better, with some need to adapt of course, but that other Creek that I was in did not bode well.
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    We are now on Bulletin right? What was that other version I somehow got linked too?

I really was not happy to be there. Is that what we are likely to end up with? OR - was that a work in progress? I have lived through a couple of favorite forum upgrades and those have certainly been for the better, with some need to adapt of course, but that other Creek that I was in did not bode well.
    Sam,

I logged in once a few months ago and was confused (and a little freaked out) by the sudden and massive changes I saw. I bopped around a bit then discovered SMC had somehow been switched to the Mobile style. Clicking on "Full Site" at the bottom of the page fixed things. I have no idea how it got switched to Mobile.

You can use the Style menu at the bottom left of the page to temporarily switch to Mobile to see if that was it.

JKJ

YES - that is exactly what I saw . Man, I'm glad I forum from a lap top otherwise my FREAK would be on full bore .
    Glad I found my way home.
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    YES - that is exactly what I saw . Man, I'm glad I forum from a lap top otherwise my FREAK would be on full bore .
    Glad I found my way home.
    I'm glad life is better now. Your squirrel still looks a little wary though.

BTW, you can still run the default "full" style from a mobile device like an iPad. That's what I do occasionally and see exactly what I see on the laptop (except smaller). Some web sites will automatically direct you to their mobile site when the browser detects a mobile device but you can almost always go to the full site. Sometimes it's an option on the page; sometimes you have to edit the URL to remove the mobile reference.

JKJ

If you inadvertently come in set to "mobile", that would certainly explain a "great difference" in appearance...mobile views are not suitable for browser use on larger screens. The new forum software that's planned will not likely look substantially different than the present on a browser. Yes, there will be some differences, in a good way, IMHO.

Jim
    Forum Moderator