Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Table saws.. hp vs rip capacity

Awesome. It sucks I have to buy a new base because I've already got the d2057a and the extension for the legs but there are multiple flat spots Worn into the casters and when I looked for new ones I found horror stories everywhere on the net about the crappy plastic Wheels so I would rather spend the money replacing the base now then the time trying to replace the casters again later and setting up the saw all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    Awesome. It sucks I have to buy a new base because I've already got the d2057a and the extension for the legs but there are multiple flat spots Worn into the casters and when I looked for new ones I found horror stories everywhere on the net about the crappy plastic Wheels so I would rather spend the money replacing the base now then the time trying to replace the casters again later and setting up the saw all over again
    I don't know if this would work for you but I've purchased good quality casters just for the wheels. The O.D. and bore would have to match of course. Just for grins here's pics of my mobile base. It works very well and I have a fence cut down to around 28". It's seldom limiting though probably having a little over 30" would be worthwhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    The standard and heavy duty mobile bases are the exact same except for the casters. I have the heavy duty one with the metal casters underneath my cabinet saw and the regular duty one with the rubbery wheels underneath a G0513 bandsaw. The long rip fence extension kit will work on either unit.

I haven't noticed any issues with the wheels on the regular duty unit but the bandsaw weighs a lot less than a typical 10" cabinet saw at 325 lbs (vs. about 550 or so) and is well underneath the 600 pound weight limit of the rubbery wheels, while a cabinet saw is pretty much at full rated load.

One thing you could do if you want would be to make your own mobile base. I did that for two tools that would not fit on commercially available mobile bases. My first one was for a 900 lb DeWalt GE radial arm saw that has a 36" x 48" footprint that was too large to fit inside a heavy duty base and too heavy for the "bring your own plywood" mobile base kit. I half-lapped a couple of 2x8s into a rectangle and used inexpensive 5" casters rated for about 350 pounds apiece, it works great. The second base I made was for a shaper setup weighing a little over 2200 pounds that was way too heavy for any commercially available mobile base. I got four super-duty 5" casters rated for 660 lbs each and made a base out of 2x6s, and I bolted the crossmembers to the rails with 3/8" bolts. That works reasonably well, although a machine weighing well over a ton has quite a bit of inertia and is notably more difficult to move than a 500-600 pound machine.

IMG_20161126_112209784.jpg
    RAS on mobile base

IMG_20170211_114520360.jpg
    Shaper on mobile base
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 08-13-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    The standard and heavy duty mobile bases are the exact same except for the casters.
    I wish I had known that. When I was searching for other casters online everything I found said that only those rubber ones fit unless I wanted to just replace Wheels for cut away part of the metal around where the caster swiveled. I already ordered a new super duty version and a new set of wheels to fix the old one for use with a lighter tool.

I have a 5hp Delta that is about 20 years old and is excellent - plenty of rip capacity, folding outfeed table, Bies overarm guard. If, however, I was in the market for a new one, I'd buy a SawStop. The Bies guard is very good protection, and I never, ever use that saw when I cannot fully concentrate on the job at hand.

I have never even considered a track saw. I don't see how one could substitute for a cabinet saw. I break down sheet goods with a guided circular saw.
    Last edited by Johanna Johanson; 08-14-2017 at 1:44 PM.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Few unrelated questions quick.
    1. Since I now have a saw should I make a thread specific to that model for questions about it, or keep asking here since I have a helpfull audience here already and it's still semi related to the original topic?

2 I am new to Woodworking and starting late in life and have tons of questions since I am currently setting up my first Shop. I have been waiting to ask tons of questions about everything from shop setup to router tables and workbench design since they are all basically me asking about the last few things I need to get up and running I am not sure if I should post them all in a single thread and keep asking questions there or to start a thread for each single question every Forum I am a member of seems to view things like this differently.

start new thread
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.