Thread: Built-in Cabinets over carpet - options?

Built-in Cabinets over carpet - options?

I am designing and building cabinets to wrap around 3 of 4 walls in my wife's craft room. Currently it is carpeted, and I have seen many recommendations to cut the carpet back for a cabinet install. Has anyone done something like this? What issues might I run into doing this? I assume I will have to add some carpet holds of some type under the cabinets after i cut the carpet back.

The cabinets will be 18 inches deep and 32-36 inches high.

What is a simple leveling solution for this type of install? Since this is a permanent install, I do not mind screwing into wall studs.

Yes, built-ins should not rest on carpet. They'll squish the carpet, and sag. You also need to remove the carpet padding, which is under the carpet.
    Carpet is retained at the edges by tack strips. You should use them in front of your built-ins. So cut back the carpet and padding where the cabinets will go. Actually, you cut back the padding a bit more so there is space for the new tack strips you're going to install. Nail in the new tack strips, and use a carpet stretcher to impale the carpet on the strips. You can rent a carpet stretcher at most tool rental places.

A work around is to layout the precise location of the cabinetry on the carpet with tape. Staple, nail or screw down the carpet at the tape line in pretty close increments - 4" or so. Then cut out the carpet and pad within that boundary. Plan on the cabinet sitting within the cut line and then adding a 3/4" thick base board on the outside of the cabinetry that will also serve to cover the fastenings and help secure the carpet. if you are including a recessed toe kick in your cabinetry - even better but this requires a bit of planning as you make the conversion from the recessed toe kick area to the (likely) not recessed areas at the ends of your cabinet runs. As Jamie writes - "Yes, built-ins should not rest on carpet."
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The downside to Sam's workaround is what happens if you decide to replace the carpet. You'll have to remove all those staples, nails, or screws -- most of them likely under the overhang of a toekick -- and you'll have to remove your covering baseboard to get at them. Not impossible, but quite a hassle.

It depends on what kind of carpet. A very low nap utility type carpet should not be a problem.

But it is pretty easy to remove and that's what I would do.

Double stick carpet tape should do the trick.

Any reason for such narrow cabs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Yes, built-ins should not rest on carpet. They'll squish the carpet, and sag. You also need to remove the carpet padding, which is under the carpet.
    Carpet is retained at the edges by tack strips. You should use them in front of your built-ins. So cut back the carpet and padding where the cabinets will go. Actually, you cut back the padding a bit more so there is space for the new tack strips you're going to install. Nail in the new tack strips, and use a carpet stretcher to impale the carpet on the strips. You can rent a carpet stretcher at most tool rental places.
    This is the correct way to do it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

Any reason for such narrow cabs?
    The room is only 12 x13 and we are wrapping the cabinets around 3 of the 4 walls. There will be a work table in the center. Laying it out in sketchy showed 24 inch cabinets were going to crowd too much. 18 seemed to work best. I may revisit the dimensions though.

As with anything else you need to consider what you gain for your extra effort. Trimming the carpet to set the cabinets on the bare floor may indeed be "best", but that's an awful lot of work for a marginal advantage. I would make a separate base for the cabinets to sit on, screw the base to the floor through the carpet, screw the carcases to the walls and get on with it. That will squish the carpet about as far as it can go, and shouldn't cause any problems down the road. If you decide to replace the carpet later on it will be quick and easy to trim the carpet back to the base of the cabinets.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    As with anything else you need to consider what you gain for your extra effort. Trimming the carpet to set the cabinets on the bare floor may indeed be "best", but that's an awful lot of work for a marginal advantage. I would make a separate base for the cabinets to sit on, screw the base to the floor through the carpet, screw the carcases to the walls and get on with it. That will squish the carpet about as far as it can go, and shouldn't cause any problems down the road. If you decide to replace the carpet later on it will be quick and easy to trim the carpet back to the base of the cabinets.

Bob Lang
    Actually, IMHO, this is the best idea yet! +1
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Another option is to install leveling feet under your cabs and just cut a small circle of the carpet at each foot to let it land on subfloor.