Thread: Moving - What to store and what to get rid of

Moving - What to store and what to get rid of

LOML has been offered a job that will require us to move to Europe for at least two years. I have been working for the past few months under the assumption that she will get this job by fixing up minor problems, clearing out clutter, and organizing things. Right now I'm trying to strategize on what what to take with, what to store, and what to get rid of.

I'm a little stuck and conflicted on storage. Almost everything electrical cannot come with. That means power tools, small kitchen appliances, TVs, etc need to be stored or sold. TVs and stereos will probably be obsolete by the time we move back, so I'm getting rid of them. What about the tools and small appliances? I'm not sure if it is worth the cost to store them or to sell them and buy new when we move back. At the same time, I'm probably going to rent a 10'x10' or 10'x15' room storage unit. Is it worth cramming it all in there and bear the expense?

What would you do under this situation? There is a lot to plan and execute to make this move happen and my head is just starting to spin!

Thanks!

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 08-09-2017 at 8:10 PM.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I would take this opportunity to de-clutter. We moved 20 years ago and still have stuff in a storage locker we will never use and at least once a year we agree we should clean out the locker and still haven't done it. Depending on your finances and those of your friends and relatives you could either give to family and friends, have a garage sale and earn a little cash or make some charitable donations or most likely a combination of all three.

A few things come to mind:

How much time do you have before the big move? It takes time to sell stuff if you want to get a fair price.

Do you have any relatives or friends nearby that would be willing to "store" your power tools?

Do you have any really special tools that would be hard to replace later? Store those items.

Some items like a $350 router lift would be hard to sell for much more than $100, but it may cost you $350 in 2 years to get a new one. Store it since it is a high cost per volume. Sell a $600 tablesaw because it takes up so much of your storage space.

TVs and electronics don't really become obsolete after just 2 years, but they will certainly be cheaper in 2 years time.

best of luck with your adventure,
    Steve

It depends on who is paying for the storage, where in Europe you're moving, and how long you will really be there. I found out on short notice that I was being assigned to Germany for three years and put almost all of the contents of my three-bedroom house in storage. The only things I brought were my stereo equipment, computer, clothes, hand tools, and some small furniture items. I would buy any furniture, dishes, or cookware that wasn't provided. Everything else was packed up and put in Government storage. That was in 1997, and my three-year tour continues.

The electronic equipment was good for 90-240VAC and 50-60Hz, but I eventually replaced all of it. My KitchenAid mixer works fine with a step-down transformer, and the difference in frequency doesn't seem to affect it. I used it a lot, and it was never warmer than it was in the States.

If the LOYL has a sponsor at the new location, it is best to make contact early and often to find out what you should not bring, what you should bring, and what is available in case you forget something. The sponsor can help with finding suitable housing and schools, if required.

I hope you enjoy the new assignment!!!

Back when there was a need to store tools, I purchased a 8 x 16 trailer. You need a place to store it when you're gone, but it's your unit and if you have friends who will let it sit on their property you're fortunate. Since purchasing it, the trailer has been storage for several friends' items during remodeling projects. It only recently returned home after being loaned out for two and a half years to a family.

The storage unit you described would rent for about $100 a month in this area.. (Shenandoah Valley, VA) so it will cost you abour $2400 or more in storage fees...

Also with it being in the states and you not, all you can hope for is that whatever you store will not degrade a lot while in storage...

Put a value on what you are thinking about storing and if it is worth it, then store it but most times you can sell / loan it and buy it again when you return with out the hassle of storage and you will have new stuff when you return..

I think that Mike makes an excellent suggestion relative to speaking with a resource in-country where you are headed, either within your wife's organization or independently, to ascertain what makes sense to take with you. For what remains, only store what you realistically would a) want when you return and b) would incur greater expense to replace upon return than you could gain from disposal including cost of storage over time. One other thing...while the natural reaction relative to disposal is to "sell", don't forget that donation may offer greater financial benefit if it can reduce your tax burden. I rarely sell things that need to be gone these days unless they are an item that has enough demand to make selling a reasonably easy process. Otherwise, it goes to charity and I take a deduction on my taxes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Storage is expensive and $100 a month is probably on the low side for self storage in major cities. The best thing you can do is get rid of any junk. No point to storing stuff like plumbing and electrical supplies unless you have unique items.

Every item should be judged to decide if it is really worth paying for storage for that item. A set of 1970s Taiwanese sockets would not be worth storing while a set of Snap-On sockets would almost certainly be worth it. Of course if a tool or item could never be replaced because it is unique then hold onto it. It might be worth getting rid of flat screen TVs instead of storage as the price will only go down and the technology will get better over the years. Certainly don't pay to store CRT TVs.

Fabric furniture is rarely worth storing in a storage locker unless is is antique or really high end. The hot/cold cycles and moisture can wreck it. On that note I wouldn't store an innerspring mattress either.

I know people who stored stuff before heading out for several years and came to regret all the money they spent storing stuff that they might never use again. Some of them are full timing in RVs and decided they couldn't get rid of some sentimental items. They finally realized they would never have space to put the items on display or use the items so they get rid of the stuff and the storage locker.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 08-10-2017 at 9:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    A few things come to mind:

How much time do you have before the big move? It takes time to sell stuff if you want to get a fair price.

Do you have any relatives or friends nearby that would be willing to "store" your power tools?

Do you have any really special tools that would be hard to replace later? Store those items.

Some items like a $350 router lift would be hard to sell for much more than $100, but it may cost you $350 in 2 years to get a new one. Store it since it is a high cost per volume. Sell a $600 tablesaw because it takes up so much of your storage space.

TVs and electronics don't really become obsolete after just 2 years, but they will certainly be cheaper in 2 years time.

best of luck with your adventure,
    Steve
    We are working out the details of the move. To their detriment, it is too late to move with school starting in 2.5 weeks. My wife is due mid November, so moving in the fall is not possible. The earliest we can move is January 1st. we will have plenty of time to get things done... I hope.

Most of my power tools are your average, mid grade construction tools. Nothing fancy, but nothing cheap. It is tempting to try and sell them all with the hope LOML will let me replace them with Festool whenever we move back.

Two years is not long for a TV... but they are 4-6 years old and 2 years is the minimum term of the job. I would rather buy new when we get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    It depends on who is paying for the storage, where in Europe you're moving, and how long you will really be there. I found out on short notice that I was being assigned to Germany for three years and put almost all of the contents of my three-bedroom house in storage. The only things I brought were my stereo equipment, computer, clothes, hand tools, and some small furniture items. I would buy any furniture, dishes, or cookware that wasn't provided. Everything else was packed up and put in Government storage. That was in 1997, and my three-year tour continues.

The electronic equipment was good for 90-240VAC and 50-60Hz, but I eventually replaced all of it. My KitchenAid mixer works fine with a step-down transformer, and the difference in frequency doesn't seem to affect it. I used it a lot, and it was never warmer than it was in the States.

If the LOYL has a sponsor at the new location, it is best to make contact early and often to find out what you should not bring, what you should bring, and what is available in case you forget something. The sponsor can help with finding suitable housing and schools, if required.

I hope you enjoy the new assignment!!!
    We will be paying for the storage ourselves. I don't plan on bringing any electronics except for those that can be used with a new transformer or USB power supply. It comes with a nice settling bonus, so new stuff will be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think that Mike makes an excellent suggestion relative to speaking with a resource in-country where you are headed, either within your wife's organization or independently, to ascertain what makes sense to take with you. For what remains, only store what you realistically would a) want when you return and b) would incur greater expense to replace upon return than you could gain from disposal including cost of storage over time. One other thing...while the natural reaction relative to disposal is to "sell", don't forget that donation may offer greater financial benefit if it can reduce your tax burden. I rarely sell things that need to be gone these days unless they are an item that has enough demand to make selling a reasonably easy process. Otherwise, it goes to charity and I take a deduction on my taxes.
    Most of our furniture are hand me downs and cheap stuff we bought before we were married. Most of it will not come with. My plan is to keep enough to take with to furnish a 1000 sqft apartment. I will have to research who makes nice, classic furniture in Europe. I have enough time to try selling for a bit and then make a large donation. I am honestly tired of selling. I have tried to sell things through Facebook and Craigslist, change my plans, and then they never show up... smegheads!
    Last edited by Dan Mages; 08-10-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Are you selling your house or renting it out? A friend took a 3 year assignment overseas. His employer paid for 1 container load of household goods to be shipped. They decluttered, packed, then installed an exterior-type door with a deadbolt on his basement shop and crammed it full of the stuff they wanted to keep but not move. Another friend who lived close by had a key. They rented via a property management company. First renters were problematic but I guess they have good ones now.

You could consider having a large, well advertised garage sale. Stuff will go cheaper, but faster. We did that with our "declutter" stuff when we moved. Pricing was tedious but we organized tables of stuff for $1, $5, etc. and priced larger stuff. On the small stuff we told everyone too that if they were buying more we'd cut them deals just to move the stuff. In 2 days we sold all but one pickup load of stuff.

After we moved we took at least two more pickup loads of stuff to Habitat or Goodwill. We also sold a good bit on Craigslist and Facebook. We even sold a set of couches and a coffee table we paid the movers to move that ended up going back to our old house--doh! After a year we did it again with all the stuff that still hadn't been unpacked or was piled in the basement because we hadn't found a spot. It will be 3 years next week and I just last night disposed of something that was STILL in a box. Our plans are for our next move to be to a smaller-yet place at a time and location that is TBD so we are trying not to accumulate too much new stuff and declutter once a year or so.

I don't mess around with appointments like "tomorrow at 5" I usually say I'll hold it if you tell me you are on your way. I also usually meet people at a nearby grocery store and tell them to call or text when they are 5 minutes away. That way if they are late or don't show I'm not out any time.

Consider donating to charity. Tax deduction benefits are often worth more than what you could sell for.

This is not exactly your situation, but it chimes in with several of the previous comments about getting rid of stuff.

We moved from a 4000 foot home into half of a 4000 foot home (the other half was being rehabbed). So we put half of our stuff into temporary storage. A year later when the rehab was completed we had the stored stuff delivered. Other than a piano there was not one item we still wanted.

My wife goes by the maxim that if you haven't used it in the past 6 month get rid of it. I have never been able to go along with that as it applies to my stuff but with hers I have no problem.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I still have boxes of stuff packed from moving three years ago. My winter project is to go through the boxes and get rid of most of it.

The six month rule can be pretty arbitrary. I have tools I only use once a year for construction at a Boy Scout camp, but I am certainly not going to throw them out and then buy new ones every year.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 08-17-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    I would do what the boss said to do.
    We all know who is boss at our house.

She puts up with me though.