View Poll Results: Do you use a Multitool for Fine Woodworking?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 35.90%
  • No

25 64.10%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Multitool in the Woodshop?

Anyone use a Multitool in the Woodshop?

Certainly, a Multi tool like the Fein Multimaster is great for home repair/remodeling. But I recently started using mine around the shop. I can't figure out what took me so long.

Just used it the flush trim a few plugs in a doll crib that I'm making for my daughters. Wow was that fast, and so much easier than a Saw.

What do do you guys use them for?

IMG_4145.jpgIMG_4144.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Dindner; 08-09-2017 at 10:48 PM.

I've never used mine in the shop - never felt I had a situation that called for it. I have used it for millwork applications.

I know you can get detail sander attachments for them and maybe that would be a place I could use it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    Certainly, a Multi tool like the Fein Multimaster is great for home repair/remodeling. But I recently started using mine around the shop. I can't figure out what took me so long.
    Just used it the flush trim a few plugs in a doll crib that I'm making for my daughters. Wow was that fast, and so much easier than a Saw.
    What do do you guys use them for?
    I have a Fein and use it in the shop and used it when I built the shop.

I can't answer the poll because I'm not sure what Fine Woodworking is.

JKJ

Last time I used my multi-tool I cut the key less chuck off my Makita drill.

Have one, bought it for a specific job and haven't used it since so this, for me, is an interesting thread. Curious to know how people use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    Have one, bought it for a specific job and haven't used it since so this, for me, is an interesting thread. Curious to know how people use them.
    Same here, except that I don't own one. I am, though, enough of a tool nerd to think that I might want one. Thing is, I'm afraid that the "multi" part might refer to the multiple times I wouldn't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have a Fein and use it in the shop and used it when I built the shop.

I can't answer the poll because I'm not sure what Fine Woodworking is.

JKJ

What was Intended was to differentiate from the conventional uses of a Multitool, notching molding, cutting a hole in Sheetrock, grinding grout. basically making nice things in the shop, like furniture, toys, boxes etc...

I bought mine when they first appeared on the market. I use it all the time both in and out of the shop. This week cutting CNC router profiles from the backing stock. Last week for cutting molding while installing new flooring, and the previous week for sanding window sills.

I think a single speed model would be rather useless but I really like the variable speed model.

Robert

A multitool is one of those machines that you don't need very often but when you need it, there is no substitute. I've used mine most often doing construction type stuff - cutting holes in dry wall and such - but if I needed a piercing cut like cutting a square hole in the back of a cabinet to fit over an electrical outlet, I don't know of anything better.

On the recommendations of quite a few Creekers I bought the very inexpensive variable speed version from Harbor Frieight. It has been one of my most used tools. Has replaced my heavy Makita sawsall as a must have on remodeling projects and has allowed me to do jobs that would otherwise have been nearly impossible to do well. I love having it.

BUT - to answer the opening question - It has not been a shop tool with the exception of some metal work - none of which qualifies as "Fine Woodworking".

If you do remodeling do yourself a favor and GET ONE. Otherwise if you are a shop body I don't see the need. BTW - I only use it as a cutting tool, never as a sander. Maybe the Fein can be used as a detail sander but my Chicago Electric is a sanding dog - not even in an emergency . I have a Festal RO90 for that purpose.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I use mine (Bosch) a lot in remodeling work, in the shop it seems that I always have a better (more controlled) way to make a given cut. I don't use my Sawzall in the shop either, for the same reason.

I used the detail sander attachment on my Bosch not too long ago.

I sometimes use it as a detail sander to get into corners.

For trimming plugs I use a few swipes with a sharp chisel. My Fein Multimaster is used much more often on boats than in the shop.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I use my Rockwell Sonicrafter as a detail sander for sanding router bowls.