Thread: When do you give up on a bowl and start a new bowl

When do you give up on a bowl and start a new bowl

IMG_0774.jpgIMG_0775.jpgIMG_0776.jpgIMG_0777.jpgThis is black acica I like the shape but it's getting fine cracks. would you move on and why.ive been turning about 6 mo. And I mostly have wet wood so I don't have a lot of finished projects yet. still building out my shop and buying stuff.

Black Acacia is wonderful wood. If you love the grain and if that is a compression mount, I would spend some time with super glue if you want the inclusions or epoxy and a filler if your don't mind a contrast in texture but symmetry in shape. Then slowwwwwwwwww turn with face shield in place and standing out of the line of fire.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I usually give up after I've put the gouge through the bottom of the bowl .

In a case like yours I'd superglue the cracks and move forward, with care.

Mark, hard to tell from your photos but it looks to me like you turned some green (wet) wood and if so, no amount of glue will keep it from checking/cracking while it is drying. In this case, I would set the piece aside and then come back to it in a month or more to see if there is anything left to salvage/finish.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I usually give up after I've put the gouge through the bottom of the bowl .
    That's when I call it finished.

Agree with Steve, let it sit for a while and see what happens. If I do use CA I put a coat of sanding sealer on to keep the glue from soaking in next to the crack and showing discoloration.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Never give up on a bowl.... until there is nothing left but chips on the floor.... so says me, the stubbornest SOB...

any bowl can be saved with enough effort! Of course I'm the only one I know dumb enough to have this philosophy....

IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    FullSizeRender 4.jpg