Thread: Euro guides and heat

Euro guides and heat

This question goes out to those who have a bandsaw with euro guides: how hot do your guides get after running for 15+ minutes?

And do you use any type of lube in the guides themselves?

Mine were getting hot, not burn your hand hot, but hotter than I would expect so I disassembled and cleaned them well with mineral spirits. I haven't had a chance to run the saw for any length of time yet to see if it made a difference but I thought I'd see what others have experienced.

How do you set yours before cutting?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    This question goes out to those who have a bandsaw with euro guides: how hot do your guides get after running for 15+ minutes?

And do you use any type of lube in the guides themselves?

Mine were getting hot, not burn your hand hot, but hotter than I would expect so I disassembled and cleaned them well with mineral spirits. I haven't had a chance to run the saw for any length of time yet to see if it made a difference but I thought I'd see what others have experienced.
    lube is oil and if your talking about side guilds there to close. if your talking about the trust bearing it should not engage until you cut . For a better performance in re sawing I added a table guild that i made from bearing bronzes and rosewood

jack
    English machines

If your bearings are running hard, you are depending too much on them and not enough on tension. The back bearing in particular should only spin when taking the deepest resaw cut too quickly. if it is spinning when under light or no cut, it is keeping the blade from tracking backwards so you need to adjust that out. No bearings should run hot. If they are the blade is hot too which shortens its life. Dave

Jack, I've admired those guides since you first posted them. Do you need to make a new set for different width blades, or do you set the blade on the wheel so that the edge of the guide comes just up to the bottom of the gullet of the blade? Thanks.
    -Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    Jack, I've admired those guides since you first posted them. Do you need to make a new set for different width blades, or do you set the blade on the wheel so that the edge of the guide comes just up to the bottom of the gullet of the blade? Thanks.
    -Howard
    you can grind a bigger V for smaller blades but i only ever run 3/4" 3 point on this saw. I have 3 other band saws with smaller blades so i don't use this for everything .
    jack
    English machines

Yes they get warm because the blade contacts them.

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about, the blade also heats up from cutting the wood............Rod.

That's for the replies! I've had the side guides set up so that they just barely spin when unloaded in a cut. I'm hoping they just needed a good cleaning. And I should have mentioned that the blade is anything but new, still feels sharp but I bet a new blade will change everything! To that end I have a diemaster 2 that just arrived yesterday.

Those are some guides Jack! I always enjoy seeing your work!

For lubing the guides has anyone tried a 'dry' wax type? I have an old bottle of wax bike chain lube that would seem like a good choice considering it would be less prone to attracting sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    For lubing the guides has anyone tried a 'dry' wax type? I have an old bottle of wax bike chain lube that would seem like a good choice considering it would be less prone to attracting sawdust.
    honestly I've actually found the Sawdust to help retain the oil . It also gives a visual indication that you have sufficient oil . These guides are plain bearings And so one is will serve to have an oil can nearby even a little three in one oil can would be ideal
    jack
    English machines