Thread: Summer House Elm Table

Summer House Elm Table

A while back I bought a small pile of relatively short pieces of elm. It came from a tree that was cut in a friend's yard, and sawn into 2" slabs, before being stacked in his garage attic for about a decade. This summer I decided to a small table at our summer house from some of it. I don't have a workshop there, so everything had to be done outside, mostly with a few hand tools. I had brought some of my nice planes and stones, but other than that I only had a couple of carpenter style saws, chisels and miscellaneous stuff from the shed to work with.

I decided to use one of the largest pieces as the table top, but because of the short length, I opted to use it more or less as is, funky shape, end checks and all. I did flatten it somewhat, and round over the edges and fill the worst cracks before finishing. The other pieces were all rough cut with a circular saw, the widest one partially resawn by hand, and planed to shape. Wedged mortise and tenon joints all around.

I'm including a link to a google album that shows the process (The title is in Norwegian, it says "Summer woodworking at the summer house"...)

https://goo.gl/photos/2HjpjLHWJ4a4NPv8A

Here's the result

20170726_171358.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Arnt,

Beautiful table. Good decisions were made with the design and build.

ken

Arnt,
    Vary impressive, both in design and craftsmanship especially working outside with just a few hand tools and not having the convience of a full workshop at your disposal. A great example that it's the acquired skills that's important not just the tools and comfortable surroundings. Great job.
    Chet

First off, GREAT JOB!
    What has impressed me the most is the contrast of the modern legs and stretchers against the more rustic top.
    Rick

I like it too.Although the proportion look a bit off to me, the top to heavy for the base it has a innocence about it.
    It a good piece.
    Aj

Andrew, I suspect that the photo has created the effect that the top is not in proportion to the base.
    All in all, very nicely done Mr. Rian. I like it very much and applaud your skill working in the rough - so to speak.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 08-10-2017 at 5:43 PM. Reason: Found the link
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks for sharing Arnt. Nice work that should fit in really well with a summer time lake house. Just a touch of the rustic flavor that fits the theme well in my opinion.
    David

nice work, I like it

thanks for sharing it

Well done, I particularly like the splayed legs. Your project is a good reminder that much can be accomplished with little.

Thanks for posting and hope to seem more projects from you.

Best,
    Chris

Nice project. That elm top is very pretty!
    Thanks for linking to the other photos.

Thanks everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Although the proportion look a bit off to me, the top to heavy for the base
    Good point, the top probably does look a bit on the heavy side for the base. It was intended, sort of, but I may have overdone it...

Blog Entries
    The live edge gives that table interest. I would have probably stupidly sawed it off.
    Good craftsmanship.

That is a beautiful table and beautiful wood!

Splendid photo of a lovely table. The through tenon joints add quality and contrast to the rustic nature making the rustic nature more deliberate.
    I also like that the stretcher is not wide enough so magazines clutter the underside of the table.